How to choose the style of play?

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you need to choose one style of play and hold tight it?

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the person's personality.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Style of play?

Style of play can change with the cards you get dealt… if you are running hot… play aggressive… if you are running cold…. Gear down and exercise more patience. Keep playing your fundamental style… just depends what gear you want to ride in.

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the style of play is very volatile and changes as you understand the person's personality. Each person will have a specific game and it's up to us to understand and process this in the best way to shape ourselves into that.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight aggressive is the way to go IF you know nothing about your opponents.

However, how you actually play at a given table depends on the players.

You need to be able to adjust depending on opponents.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just believe folks have to know the fundamentals first then you move on to a style.

But you should be able to play both as a tight and a loose player like flipping on a switch as they say by how the table plays especially if you're playing cash games or by the blind structure or in what stage of a tournament you're in.

Its easy for a person that doesn't know starting hands to play "loose". And hard for a tight player to play loose that doesn't pay attention to how your opponents plays so you have a clue where you are in a hand but studying and experience will help.

But it doesn't matter if you're actually NOT trying to get good and regardless of style, the only thing that matters is that ROI. Whatever works for you is the only thing that matters and you can do it consistently over time. That's it. TAG, LAG, whatever. As long as you can make money then go for it but if you're not doing so well then I would pay attention to the fundamentals.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is not right to single out any one style of play, it is necessary to combine them harmoniously.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you need to choose one style of play and hold tight it?

Here are my thoughts on it :)

Apologies that the audio quality isn't the best, i recorded this quite a while back

But the info is still relevant today!!

Hope it helps :)

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you stay with one type of play yo will find yourself wondering why players fold when you need them to call.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you are very beginer, I recommend you play very tight and very agressive. Because you will play with hands more confortable and the agressivity is a very useful tool because is ever very tough to play against agressive players even when they are beginners.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, for your opening strategy, but as you reads on your opp you adjust accordingly

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker most decisions are dependent on situations, preselected playing styles may prevent you from adapting to opponent's weakness and unable to make the most profitable plays.

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually tailor my style of play to my opponents: play aggressively against passive ones and vice versa.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Learning a strong fundamental game is imperative, but as you become more experienced and skilled, you should be adjusting to take advantage of your opponents errors in order to be the most profitable that you can be and that means playing a range of styles all the time depending on who you are in a hand with.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure I would pick a style. The reason is your style should depend on the players you are against. At an given time you can be tight or lose, passive or aggressive or something in between.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Find a style of play that you are comfortable to play with.

Experiment a bit and see what works for you.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are multiple ways to win at poker. I prove this every time i get to the final table. I play fairly tight and will inevitable sit next to an aggro dude at the final table. Since we are both at the final table and have the same potential to win the thing, I have to assume that the style wasn't as important as the implementation of the style.

If we define a strategy, we need to be able to play it well to succeed. But poker is a game of adjustments. The more we understand about the entire game, the better our adjustments will be.

Good luck and God bless.

001Jaguar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your table at the moment if you running cold you should have a passion if you running hot play every hand and aggressive sometimes when you play aggressive the game takes front and make you death so always be careful what you bluf this is how I play passion play is the hardest you always want to play when good hands comes but the game edge still against you it’s hard to know sometimes what you need to bet and play..