How to bluff?

A

AshAdore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to learn how to bluff , online it's so difficult when comparing to r/l eye to eye contact poker .

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much to say really...you have to have a basic read on your opponent and their range - they have to understand your range as well - then you rep your range and hope for the best....but at the lowest levels, TONS of ppl will call you down with top or second pair, sometimes not even with the best kicker.

bluffing - for me - presents itself. You pick up on it, make the move and hope for the best.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to learn how to bluff , online it's so difficult when comparing to r/l eye to eye contact poker .
Sorry but your question is a bit strange ! Because once you start playing poker , you will learn many things, step by step , it comes naturally, ( for example : winning combination, positions, card dealing , check raise fold .. ) and you learn how to bluff . I think no one can really give you a straight answer about your question , but I think to learn how to bluff , it s a thing you must know it yourself ( bluff doesn’t makes you win the hand , the method how you played the hand that made you win ) .

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Bluffing is just willing to raise when you may not have the nuts. Raising attempts to reduce players in the pot. If an A is on the board and another player has two Aces in their hand, a bluff is gonna cost you, no matter how you look at it. If on the other hand, you have AA in your hand and they beat you with a full house, your trip Aces is gonna cost you.

Basically, I go for a bluff when playing on house money, when I have won a few chips.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good example would be a hand i am just going to throw out there - i saw something similar done by Daniel Negreanu once - this may not be the EXACT scenario but it will suffice for example sake - anyhow, the setup was perfect. The tightest player at the table comes in for a raise and Daniel flats with Q10

Flop comes 569 all rainbow cards

Player leads out for about 3/4 pot and Daniel calls...turn is an 8

5698 now on the board - our preflop aggressor leads out again but this time for about 1/4 pot - very small. Daniel picks up on this and the players range is super capped to overpairs like QQ or more likely AA or KK.

Anyhow, like i said - our player leads the 5698 board and Daniel raises - Daniels image obviously consists of suited connectors, smaller pairs set mining, etc....so the raise puts what happens to be KK in a really bad spot...naturally the player tanks.

Daniel looks at him and literally tells him "you've got a super tough decision huh?" - gets no response, he tells another player at the table out loud "you know what i think he's got?...Aces! Im pretty sure he's got aces"...

Well naturally if the guy is sitting there holding KK, Daniel out loud puts him on a stronger hand, then he must surely be beat....right? Well, thats part of what made this a perfect bluff. If Daniel does get called he has a few outs to bank the straight and a none of those outs to chop - if he doesnt, then he wins a nice pot uncontested.

The combination of the preflop aggressors image - very nitty
Daniels image - plays a decent range, plays position well and has likely shown down some pretty good hands and made some very nice reads already...
Couple that into such a bad board for overpairs , one that slams Daniels range - another live read very close to spot on - and you've got a banging spot for the bluff.

Naturally it got through, i imagine most anyone in this spot folds AA and KK as well...i know i would.

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did perfect bluff couple of times. One time tried to show the flush-dro to the turn and played check - coll. On the river, my imagined flush-dro had closed and I made a pot bet if I right remember. And won the bank ))) In the online poker the very important thing is a timing. It is specific parameter for everyone but it allows predict the opponent's hands.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as soon as the opponent showed weakness I was 72 bluffing. and of course it is very rare, otherwise they will play tactfully against you.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing you need to bluff is bad cards.

I always have good cards. *wink*

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The art of bluffing is in knowing your opponent. Other things that factor in is how the action in the hand has played thus far, and when it really comes down to the nitty gritty, blockers can be important.

For example, a good spot to min-raise bluff could be on a four to a flush or four to a straight board, when your opponent checks the flop and/or turn, and fires a small bet on the river.

I still do not recommend much bluffing though, until you are confident in your game, have created somewhat of an image, and you know your opponent well.

T

Taurildo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
winning combination, positions, card dealing , check raise fold... after that all comes naturaly

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi!!!to learn how to bluff you need to be a real actor of the Bolshoi theatre,there is a lot of literature about this,just two words can not tell))to learn!to learn!and study again!!good luck!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To perform a bluff, you need to create a good reputation at the poker table. If you have created a reputation for tight player, the opponents will play with you carefully. Most likely, they will throw their cards on your bluff, if you do it right. The essence is to play the hands in the same manner as its previous winning hand.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO, such "knowledge" should come naturally, you just feel it when played enough hands and seen lots of game combinations. So I'd recommend play as many hands as you can - and well, maybe watch videos of how professional players do that.

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to add tip: be confident.
It's really easier in online poker, because nobody see and hear you. So bluffing is confidence to lose chips but win it. You should play enough hands and you've got feeling to ability for bluffing: position, bubble, stack sizes but main - opponent's style. Find titght opponents and attack him!

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff

You must first and foremost focus on your opponents and see who are more cautious than others and usually bluf works with this type of person, but be careful because they too are watching you and can set you a trap if you overdo the bluf. finally I think that there is not a rule, it's up to you to choose the moment of bluff according to the way of playing your opponents Good luck to you

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I find bluffing a opponent is timing, you can bluff a aggressive more easily than a tight player.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online is a lot different to bluff than live. Live there's a few ways. One is to start with an active stack and be in a lot of pots. Push the other opponents to make a tough decision. Another is to start with a tight image and once you realize people respect your bets, then you can start bluffing. Lastly, it's talking. A lot of people say talking makes people call, and that's true. If you talk when you have a hand, talk when you don't. The more comfortable you look, the more likely they'll fold.

The one time I can bluff someone online is when they continuation bet the flop and I check raise.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of times when i bluff they fold but sometimes i get caught really bad when they have trips or something, i think its mutch about your table image, when they think im tight player i can steal many pots :D

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not that simple! There are several factors that need to coincide. Depends on the players, the experience and the hands themselves. The same depends on the opponent, if the player is good then the bluff may pass us, but if we have a fish that does not know how to play, then he will pay us on any two cards and it is very important against whom we play when we want to play the bluff . It's best to play safely!

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips

It is a fundamental strategy in poker, but it is not good to abuse this either; I use it depending on the player and the most complicated part of live poker is to keep your poker face so as not to raise suspicions.

I practice in front of a mirror and I think that there is 1M in chips on the table, that way I teach my brain not to be scared with money and not show fear in front of the opponent.:D

T

TwinkleTwinkle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I run a bluff "play" every now and then that works consistently and requires very little thinking. The setup for the play requires that you be in late position. If there is an open bet and no callers, place a 3B if you don't think anyone that acts after you, or the original opener, will 4B you. Generally the only one to call the 3B will be the original opener. Place a cbet on the flop as long as there aren't two cards 9 or higher. The original opener will almost always fold. If they don't fold, you're in a tough position, but firing a second barrel on the turn usually finishes them off.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are three steps to bluffing.

1) Establish an image, generally one of tight and only raising on later streets with a hand.

2) Then open your calling range a little with position on other tight players when they open.

3) When they show weakness Raise. Force them to make a decision on if you have once you have the track record that says you do.

W

Wait4ItKid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your open raise can set up a bluff nicely. You have to decide how many players you would rather be up against. Heads up is definitely a much better situation to deal with. Multi way pots can prove some what difficult but are not limited to never winning these particular pots with a bluff. An image can be important as it may perceive your hand strength for each hand you decide to play. Ranges. Understanding your opponents ranges as well as your own range will help you find more bluffs during any hand you play. Betting scheme + perceived ranges. Betting a specific amount paired with your perceived range during each street will largely impact on an opponents decision to make the call, a raise or a fold. Board texture. Dry boards can be better to decide to bluff. For example; flop comes 229 rainbow. If a raise in early position is made, chances are they missed this flop entirely. Bluffing is not difficult. Live games and Online do not differ to much in comparison. Every game has it's non-believers.