How big should I bet Preflop?

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How Big should i be betting preflop. I usually bet 3 BB for the first few rounds of blinds then i go increasingly smaller when the antes going up. Then I will just be doing a min raise because the antes are big enough?

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In freeroll Cardschat PS actually you wil bet all in... its the only possible play actually

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes the general rule of tournaments is what you have described.
When we are deep stacked we can open raise something like 2.5x-3x(I go 2.5x in real money MTTs and 3x in freerolls) , with 35bb+ something like 2.2x and below 30bbs just 2x it's ok.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The rule of thumb I believe is 2-3x BB. I see most probably around 2.2-2.5x. This assumes you are first to enter the pot. If others have entered before you (limped) add another BB per limper.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How Big should i be betting preflop. I usually bet 3 BB for the first few rounds of blinds then i go increasingly smaller when the antes going up. Then I will just be doing a min raise because the antes are big enough?

in my opinion always increase two or three times !! and analyze the hand and opponents well!

:icon_smur:bebored:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think the open raise size is super important if there is a strategy behind it and you are consistent; a nightmare for you would be to vary you bet size based on your holdings strength. It won't take a rocket scientist to realize that you always bet smaller for value and big on bluffs or some other obvious patterns.

- 3x open raise is usually seen as the standard.
- 2.5x has become more popular among strong players in deep stack poker lately. Daniel Negreanu's "small ball" approach notoriously utilizes 2.5x. However, lower open raises will almost always bring more callers. So 2.5x players (versus 3x) should be more confident in their post glop play; the complicated post flop many beginners make mistakes at.
- Related, many beginners will open larger. Something like 5x consistently to reduce multiway pots played. Here they are "charging" good players from going after them; the bigger open raise also polarizes the ranges so hand reading is easier.
- Another idea I've heard is to open raise your default amount, but then increase it against specific players in the big blind if you really don't want to go heads up against them (like a pro or maybe a reg you have no history with).
- Finally, there is the 3x + 1 bb (or some amount) per limper.

I think all of these can work for your skill level/ play-style as long as it fits your game.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once again I have to say it depends on the table. usually I go 3x maybe a little larger in the early rounds. But if I have a calling station at the table and I can basically get away with a larger open while keeping him in and isolating it to a heads up situation I will adjust my opens as needed. Also true if I have a tight table and I can steal the blinds with a little larger open.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With full stacks, the raise size is 3BB, and as the blinds increase, we reduce the raise size to 2BB. So I agree completely with your sizing.

taylormaade

taylormaade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a mix of anywhere from 2.2x - 3x + 1BB per limper at all levels not dependent on hand strength. That way I/m not giving any betting tells pre-flop.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As any other poker question: It depends!

First thing you should consider before raising is: how good is your hand for opening, If you are playing on a tight and passive table you can go loose and bet more and try to steal more pot, So: If other players are tight you can raise 3 or 4 BB pre-flop and get the pot with a simple C-bet and if you faced a re-raise you can fold easily
If you are playing on a table with a lot of limpers your pre-flop bets must be bigger something like 6 or maybe 7 BB in early stages of tournaments
If you are playing on a loose and aggressive table you should do less flat calls and tight your range and 3-bet with your good hands
In a normal situation 3 BB bet is ok