How to avoid this?

H

hideoka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I've been playing poker for a while now, trying to get better at it, and one of the biggest problems I have are dealing with people who just go all-in before the flop all the time.
Sometimes I get a half decent hand life small pocket pairs, and I'm willing to pay the big bling to see the flop but then some rookie just goes all-in on the first hand and I fold because my style of playing is 'better safe than sorry', and then when he shows his hand the dude hast like, 2-4 unsuited, and I would have gotten trips on the flop and totally beaten the guy.
Because of this 'all-in' suicidal guys I end up wasting great hands sometimes (yesterday I wasted a straight flush because of some dude going all-in before the flop, it would have been the first time I drew one in months but I bailed), but the worst thing is that a lot of times these dudes end up winning with crappy hands.

So with that problem in mind, does any more experienced players have any tips on how to deal with these rookies going all kamikaze?

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So with that problem in mind, does any more experienced players have any tips on how to deal with these rookies going all kamikaze?
Well if you're talking about freerolls this is very common to happen, especially in the first levels of blaind, and unfortunately there is no magic formula, just wait for a premium hand and call the villain's all-in, the maximum that can happen and you get a bed beat and leave the tournament, but as you didn't lose money just register for the next one and do the same thing, patience is the key word.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live poker...

player one... raises big with AQ and takes a limped pot with about 6 limpers.

Same player raises big into a limped pot with about the same 6 limpers.

His villain ( now goes over the top all in.)

Player one rolls over AA... Villain rolls over 22.....

I think the villain made a good play? He made a read and tried to force an AQ or less to fold.... at least that was the idea.

He hits his third duck and the moaning starts... ( such a bad play, no one ever does this.....)

I thought ( Yes they do?)

comments?

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
As my brother Cesar @Gritz18 says, if you're talking about freerolls no problem, wait until tomorrow and there will be another one.
If you are talking about cash, look cash is not playing any hand because you like how those who have money do, the so-called recreational players.
Cash is knowing how to locate yourself at the table first, it is very important to know from which position you will 3 bet or reraise, with which hands you can bluff, how your opponent plays, check with game in hand and wait for the villain to push, etc.
It has endless variants.
If you have, for example, a J10s and you want to call someone who goes all-in with 24o, first look at how many times you would have lost to another experienced player with those cards, and don't look at that because you didn't call you would have won the big pot.
an AA or KK in general at a table can come to you 1 time per hour or every 2 hours. These "bingo" players push with any hand, it's just not to go crazy and know how to wait for them.
Nothing guarantees that with AA you will win, but that out of 5 times you will win 4, you will have to pray that it is not the same hand that you lose hahaha
Another advice, do not play cash if you do not have a good backing. At least you have to have 10 boxes of 100 BB each to enter a cash 0.01/0.02 table.
What do I want to tell you, one bad day you can always have it, 100 bad days you can't always have it, as long as you can control your emotions, which for me is the most important thing in the world of poker.
My regards, brother:):):):)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is kamikaze lots of times the first 20 minutes of a tourney, and then things tend to calm themselves down. So be patient and opportunities will present themselves.

ms_attack

ms_attack

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There is no riddle solution here, you just have to wait, usually these players eliminate themselves. Just wait for premium hands like AA, KK, QQ, AK and you can call the all in. If you lose with these premium hands against 2,4os then it is unfortunately so, but luckily there are always new tournaments. You just have to learn to deal with it, every player has different strategies and some have this strategy to always go all in. But in the long run you will be successful if you have the patience and wait for your premium hands. Small pockets are not really good hands, you only hit a set once out of 8 hands on the flop. You would have to fold them even after a big raise or a 3-bet.
Good luck for your future play.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unfortunately we cant stop playing that way, we just have to take those chances sometimes when we have a good hand as the probability is on our side however sometimes they can take advantage for the fact that they have been clowning and shove with an actual maid hand, avoid it or just take the chance with a strong hand.

Juancii

Juancii

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
Patience is the key. At some point you will have to go all in if you have a strong hand (even with an A A you can end up losing to a 2 3). I think you just need to have the % to your favour. Don't be afraid of going all in if you have good cards, the stronger hands are more likeable to win at long term, just don't be afraid of losing. Remember losing is part of the game.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with most of the People in this thread, "Patience" is a Virtue in any Tournament, Freeroll or buy-in, but you will get these type of "Coin Tosser's" in many games especially Freerolls as it is costing them nothing, And even in Micro Games and Low buy-ins, because they are losing very little.
Don't let them put you off playing Poker as it is a Wonderful Pastime with some Exciting Twist's and Turn's. You just have to wait for those Monster hands to come along and if someone Shoves all-in with a 4/7 off and you call them with Pocket Aces, They might hit an Incredible straight on the Flop, but don't beat yourself up over losing to them, Congratulate yourself for making the right call with the best possible hand Pre-flop and they just sucked out on you.
That Happens! That's Life, That's Poker! Just get over it and move onto the next game, because next time you could be the Winner.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't avoid that. These kind of players and those big stack bully players at the tables are always there. Try to play them out in later stages.
Mostly my experience is that the players at the table enjoy to kill them step by step.
All is said, patience is the key in every tournament.
Mark those AI gamblers with a color tag.
Try to look where they are when you are still in the game.
Seeing them mostly busted out of the game before you and the money gives great satisfaction.

Last edited:
serj537

serj537

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
You're not alone in this. I've also discarded many times for such players myself. And then it turned out that the giveaway was mine. :oops:

Adi1899

Adi1899

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion to avoid this , unfortunately, there is no other recipe than playing for high stakes; p

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
patience pays off, ther'll always bre another chance

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wait for a good hand and call the next all-in.