HORSE: low hands

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently been getting quite into the HORSE games online. Now i've played Hold-Em (limit and no limit) for years, picked up Omaha hi in no time and am getting pretty good at Razz. Stud is still a bit of a blank spot, but i'm getting there.
What I dont quite get is where the cut off is between hi and lo hands.
Often, in Omaha hi-lo there is no low hand, and the whole pot gets shipped to the high hand, why is this? What constitutes a low hand? Someone mentioned that it was 5 cards, without having any paired, lower than 8, but this just doesn't seem to add up. If this is right, does it differ in Stud hi-lo? i'm sure i've seen hands win with anything up to 10 high there. Particularly if i've been dealt 4 great cards to start, say A 2 3 4 for arguments sake, and bet the pot but never improved, yet still won it after rivering a 9 say.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Kev

K

kjwilson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
low hands

in order to have a hand even qualify to compete for the low you just have to have 5 different cards 8 or lower.

it is different than stud because there are community cards and you hold 4 of course

and with your A,2,3,4...not sure if this is the flop plus turn or what but as far as hi/lo is concerned your 5th card has to be lower than 8 so when the 9 comes youre screwed all around, unless A hi is gonna take the high pot which is unlikely with the 9 kicker​

F

Falian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember, you can only use 2 cards from the 4 you are given, as well as 3 from the community deck. Therefore You could have A,2,3,4 and if only one card <8 comes out then you do not have the low hand.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Btw, if you have to ask basic questions about HORSE games, you're better off not playing HORSE. Pick one game, get profitable at it up to the $1/$2 level, rinse, repeat. Then once you're proficient at 4 of the games (at least), you can start playing HORSE.

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was the HORSE freeroll that got me interested in the game, i've not spent much playing it for real money. Omaha and hold em I was already ok with, Razz was easy to pick up, just Stud I'm still struggling with slightly.
The A 2 3 4 was in stud. 2 in the hole and the first 2 dealt, so obviously I raised the pot pretty sure i'd catch another low card out of the 3 remaining to be dealt. Cant be certain but I thought i'd taken a piece of that pot, which is what prompted me to ask the question about what makes a low hand.
Think i'll try a few of the cheap Stud games and see what I can pick up. Thanks.

liv3player

liv3player

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High/Low

Horse is my 2nd most favorite game outside of No-Limit Holdem.The low consists of A-8.When playing Omaha h/l or stud 8 the A will always play both ways as high and low,also you need an 8 or better low to even have a chance of winning it,it is not just the lowest hand splits or wins except when playing Razz then it is just the five lowest cards win.Hope this was a bit helpful.

Chronical23

Chronical23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing horse as well. It seems like it truly tests a players skills in poker with everything they've got. All aspects of the games are covered and you have to be able to switch between games fluidly. pretty fun stuff

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember, you can only use 2 cards from the 4 you are given, as well as 3 from the community deck. Therefore You could have A,2,3,4 and if only one card <8 comes out then you do not have the low hand.

Another thing that zings new Omaha players. Not only do you only get to use two of the cards, but you MUST use two of your cards.

Also, you can use two of your cards for the high, and another two (or the same ones) for the low.

-

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands