pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All,

I found this article really useful and interesting, brought to us by Ashley Adams of Cardschat News.

Ashley talks us through some situational poker here with a specific hand and describes some healthy debate over the hand with a friend who had just completed a long session of $1/$3 NLHM cash game.

Its worth a read as sometimes, our gut instinct can defy logic and maths but can be the right play..

https://www.cardschat.com/news/trust-your-reads-113043/

Thanks Ashley for a quality read.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good article- It is not a gut read though- often we mistake observational data we have gathered live about a villain's tendencies as a gut read-however the data can be very close to what a villain's HUD river steal % would be.
This is a spot where estimating is very close to the correct math decisions on the river.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think that's what the article is saying at all. There's nothing in there about going with your gut instinct or making gut reads.. I think Ashley is saying to rely more on your read than on emotions of how it would feel to call and lose or to fold and be shown you had a winning hand, etc. The read is based on the maths, the ranges of your opponent, all the good stuff that we use to narrow down what hands we think we are up against. The read is essentially all about coming to a decision about your equity in a given spot. Once you find it, then you compare it to the pot odds and make an emotionless decision to call or fold based on how the two compare.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi All,

I found this article really useful and interesting, brought to us by Ashley Adams of Cardschat News.

Ashley talks us through some situational poker here with a specific hand and describes some healthy debate over the hand with a friend who had just completed a long session of $1/$3 NLHM cash game.

Its worth a read as sometimes, our gut instinct can defy logic and maths but can be the right play..

https://www.cardschat.com/news/trust-your-reads-113043/

Thanks Ashley for a quality read.
Very good material.