Guidance for a beginner

P

Peter_Roses

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So folks, I'm a college student who needs to earn some extra money.I consider myself an intelligent person and I can work hard to learn something.Do you think poker is a viable and realistic option?

Today I would have about two hours a day to devote myself to poker.I've heard that in this case, Sit and Go is the best option.That's right?

If so, could any of you guide me to learn how to win regularly?Books, guides, videos.I tried searching google but there are many options that we get lost. Also, do you recommend PokerStars?

The initial investment may not be very large, however.I just do not own the money yet.

Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trust me

Well, it's very hard to win money from poker, especially all online, everybody wants to win, but you have a chance, you have to start from the bottom, do not throw at high stakes, there are the pro players who are waiting for you, if not too like to stay reading, you can follow the twitch on the pro players like Alexander Veldhuis like Jaime Staples like Felix Schnaiders, and they are some of the whole community and the question, what are you going to tackle for quick money, of course sit and go. I started with sit and go of 1.50 hyper. Good luck
:D:D

TudorPithon

TudorPithon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
u can try intellipoker, they have some lessons and tests about poker ;) and if u register at pokerstars after u complet the test u will reieve some free tickets to play in tournaments. i thing it s a good start for you . haave fun !

thaysen13

thaysen13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the micro sit and go's on pokerstars. I think in the long term it will be profitable. You should start with pokerschool online. Take all the courses.

Jockerist

Jockerist

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker is not easy to win money. Think more on any kind of earnings.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have only two hours to play some poker I will recommand you to play spin n go not sit n go as a starting point to build a bankroll a Spin go will be a table for 3 players where you could play passively and earn so much if you need some tips try to check the PokerGuru for Titan room it will be helpfull there are also many many articles availble on our CardsChat community.Play it cool and do not engage in high stakes to avoid loosing your bankroll low stakes are better but you could fall on a lucky fishes which will make you steam! Good luck and put your studies ahead Poker is not that profiteable for beggibners

S

Sparky IoW

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the thing with poker is when you very first start to play it seems easy but the more you learn the more you realise it is so much more to it than the cards you are holding. The trouble is you will be playing against people who already understand this. My advice would be something like to sign up for poker stars school and watch their videos etc. Also play micro stakes sit n go's 6max and see how you get in. Good luck with it.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So folks, I'm a college student who needs to earn some extra money.I consider myself an intelligent person and I can work hard to learn something.Do you think poker is a viable and realistic option?

Yes, alltough Poker is a tough game, especially online.
It will take some time to get in to and a lot of selfcontrol and hard work. But it is entirely realistic. Keep in mind that only about 10% of players make money in the long run.

Today I would have about two hours a day to devote myself to poker.I've heard that in this case, Sit and Go is the best option.That's right?
Cashgame or single table SnG´s yes. This honestly depends on you. You could even go for hyper-turbo MTTs if the field is small enough. But for starting id recomend you play cashgame and work on youre game. Cashgame is different to some degree but it will be good for training youre postflopskills and to learn about variance.

If so, could any of you guide me to learn how to win regularly?Books, guides, videos.I tried searching google but there are many options that we get lost. Also, do you recommend PokerStars?

As a beginner PS is probably the right choice especially because of theire Pokerschool and freerolls for beginners.
As for studying id stick to this Forum, PS-School and other bigger Forums like 2+2, etc.

Next step would be to get youreself either "Pokertracker 4" or "Holdem Manager 2" wich are probably the best Tools on the market for reviewing youre game. The HUD is nice, but honestly you dont need it if you dont multitable. The fact that you can analyze spots is much more important.

If you have a bit of spare money investing in a Trainingprogramm like "Upswingpoker" or "Raiseyoureedge" is worth it. Alltough thats not a must for becoming a winning player.

On twitch you will also find a lot of bigger and smaller streamers playing basically everything from high to low-stakes. Also a great method to learn.

When starting of i recomend you spent youre time 50/50 on learning and playing. With the time you want to spent more time playing an practicing but studying is an essential part of the game.

Hope this helps you. GL & HF :)

P

Peter_Roses

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks!

Thank you all for the willingness to help! I have a month vacation until college starts over and I'm going to study the game in the meantime.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
start with freerols...later cash

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For beginners, poker is mostly unprofitable. Do not expect that if you read smart articles or see how professionals play, you will miss the stars from heaven. This is a long and laborious work. You first of all have to go through the first loss of money as a beginner.You try to play for small installments everywhere. And only then you will understand where you find it more comfortable to play. There, and play.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned to play from Phil Hellmuth Play Poker like the pros. It's a perfect book for absolute beginners. It teaches starting hand play which is the most important factor for a beginning player.

SprMnd

SprMnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not want to sound pessimistic, but in order to earn money by playing poker you have to be better than others in this game. It is not as easy as it seems for first glance. Most of those who play poker nowadays are people, who know subtleties of the game much more better than begginers.I know what I am talking about, dude. I also consider myself an intelligent person, always used to learn fast something new. Poker became my only occupation for the last year. I was spending up to 7-8 hours a day playing and learning poker and now, I would say, I am still not good enough.
As regard the your future opponents, at the micro/low stakes (probably you woulid be start from there) in most cases it will be people, who play every day, trying moving up by limits. It is like work for them. They play very carefully and dont want to lose any extra cent. The others are unpredictable gambling donks, whose actions may blow your mind.
The same situation with MTTs and SnG. Its composition can be divided as percentage of strong regular players (40%), amateurs, recreational players, who play seldom, but for years (20%), and absolutely "fishes" (20%). Strong regulars play up to 30 tourneys during one session, that could last for 10-15 hours, eventually gathering all the money on distance from weaker ones.
You can earn some little amount of money, of course, for example 50-100$ per month, but it is not for sure.
The point is if you really want to earn money playing poker, you have to spend most of your time learning and playiing almost every day for 5-6 hours at a minimum. (You can try a lottery to win faster:))
You asking what is better to read/watch that can help to win regularly? No one will give you something ready on a silver platter. Read, watch, study. solve. learn everything you
can find. From the base to the features, from old to new, from articles to blogs, from books to videos. This way was passed by many professional players.
Yes, I reccomend Pokerstars as well as other sites (partypoker, 888poker).
So, how to spend your free time, I mean these 2 hours a day, - trying to earn money playing poker or do something esle, that is guaranteed to be paid, it is up to you.
GL, man, and dont go on tilt!

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a total beginner who's not into reading, I'd recommend the PokerStars - Everything Poker videos

Here's the list with all the episods:

Just don't go in and apply everything you learn, because it was written somewhere or because someone said it in a documentary.

Think of it like this. You already have a play style, you just don't know it. That's your personality. You can dress it up and arm it with reading material, advice, documentaries, classes, but it should be still be you and your style.

But I'll tell you this. If you start off with this mindset "could any of you guide me to learn how to win regularly?" you'll never get where you want. You'll become frustrated, easy to tilt.. and that's a bell that un-rings very hard.

For any 100% beginners, the one sound advice is be prepared to lose too. If you're in poker to win the jackpot, you'll end up in slots and be better off there.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
To be of maximum value, you have to reach the following goals in poker:

- study and understanding of the opposition;
- development of an efficient strategy to dominate the competition.
It is matter of your approach and background.

I wish you to get in the right mindset before diving to the poker.
This job is not pure gravy.