Good poker books for the modern poker...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have definitely not read over forty books like you.
Doyle's didn't make Top40,.. 40+ = quite a few more than 40 (I'm a bookworm addict... what can I say??.... it's kind of embarassing though to be honest :eek: )
If you would like to share some other books that you've found useful, it would be much appreciated.
For what format?

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For what format?

I've switched from MMTs to primarily cash this past year. I'm currently playing 20NLHE until I can move up, so anything that's helpful with the micros would be useful to my game atm. I typically play 6max & FR and stay away from HU for the most part. so...yeah.

Last edited:
JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Super System's value is in explaining several different variations of poker... as in all of them. It's only a starting point because every variant has evolved, even past the information updated for SSII. But as a starting point, you won't find a better book for getting into mixed games.

If you're trying to focus solely on NLHE, you could easily skip Doyle's books and instead start with Gordon's Little Green and Blue books (haven't read Gold yet) and then move to one of Harrington's series depending on whether you're more of a cash game or tournament player. Daniel Negreanu's Power Holdem has a good mix of the two, and I would recommend it even if you're not a small ball player. It will help you defend against opponents using it against you.

I really don't know what you'd go to after that as far as advanced cash game play, but you should check out Jonathan Little's Secrets of Tournament Poker Vol I and II released in the last two years for how to best beat today's poker tournaments. Whether you play live or online, his advice and teaching style can help your tournament game, and it's especially good for making a transition from online to live.

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PO, are there any books that can help me @ 10-20nl, that you've read?

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Verneer's is not helpful here? Maybe time to revisit?

Obviously his are. I'm simply asking so I can look to a wider verity, that's all. Verneer's stuff is absolutely amazing for the limits I'm currently playing. I wouldn't discredit anything I've ever read by him. But I'm always interested in reading new material from another source.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously his are. I'm simply asking so I can look to a wider verity, that's all. Verneer's stuff is absolutely amazing for the limits I'm currently playing. I wouldn't discredit anything I've ever read by him. But I'm always interested in reading new material from another source.

Ed Miller's stuff?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
PO, are there any books that can help me @ 10-20nl, that you've read?

If tournament play is what you're into, you could follow the LittleGreenBook up with:
Harrington On Holdem Vol. 1 & 2 (not so much for today's game but definitely good for a foundation to work with & before picking up other books).

'Kill Everyone' (Elky edition)

'Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time' (Vol. 1 & 2) - geard more towards $100+ buyin online tourneys (translates to high buyin live tourneys as well).

'Sit'nGo Strategy' by Collin Moshmann (if you're going to be playing STT-SNG's).
'or'
'Secrets of Sit 'n gos' by Phil Shaw

'The Raiser's Edge' (this is basically the sequel to the 'Kill Everyone' book, with new material geared towards 'todays game' with some material in it from Tony Dunst). Good book! (but I'd read some of the others first for sure!).

Some of these books you'll be able to pick up at your local library. If they don't have it on their shelves see if they can get it for you via 'inter-library book loan'.

If 'cashgame' play is more of what you're looking to play, I'm sure some others will be able to help you out. But the one suggested by 'bricht' has some great reviews for micro cashgame players & another that many will recommend is 'Professional No-Limit Hold'em'. Also the Harrington cash game books are worth a read.
If cashgame play is more of what you're looking to play, I'm sure others will be able to help you out. (see above)

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Portable Poker Pro
No Limit Holdem Theory & Peractice
Professional No Limit Holdem Vol. 1
Small Stakes No Limit Holdem
Heads Up No Limit Holdem
Poker by the numbers ?? I think thats the title
The Book of Bluffs
Poker Winners Are Different
The Art of War by Sun TZU
Five Circles - (about Samurai mentality)
The Prince - Machiavellie

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting last 3. Read all of them awhile back. Anything where Machiavelli specifically mentions "fortune & virtue" is incredibly good stuff as to how it could relate to poker situations. Main theory being akin somewhat to "...You can't win if you don't play/try..." I attempted some of the concepts at the time I read "The Prince". They actually work...:eek:

A

andrewsz1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The book Gus hansen wrote where he documents every hadn he had in the wsop is very good. I forget what it's called

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The book Gus hansen wrote where he documents every hadn he had in the wsop is very good. I forget what it's called

Every Hand Revealed. It was based on his Aussie Millions win.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every Hand Revealed. It was based on his Aussie Millions win.

Wow, you are good. Now what's the name of that book by David Sklansky where he talks about the theory of poker?

Aww come on - it's just a joke :marchmell

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, unfortunately I can't get Phil Gordon's Little Green Book from the Libraries around here. I heard that there is a PDF version that you can download. I have googled searched it, but some do not load properly.

Could somebody please leave me a link to where they have downloaded his book.

Thanks.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not aware of and have not run into a pdf of Little Green Book (and I have a bunch of pdf poker books). However it is available in audio format for download.

Got mine via Audible.com. I think Amazon might have it too.

Also, currently reading his Gold Book and it's quite a jump forward from Green Book. In fact I am sure I wouldn't even understand it if I hadn't been into some Ed Miller recently.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not aware of and have not run into a pdf of Little Green Book (and I have a bunch of pdf poker books). However it is available in audio format for download.

Got mine via Audible.com. I think Amazon might have it too.

Also, currently reading his Gold Book and it's quite a jump forward from Green Book. In fact I am sure I wouldn't even understand it if I hadn't been into some Ed Miller recently.

Ok thanks for the advice on the audio, I might look into that.

I also just found the PDF version, it is working great.

Can't wait to get into it.

C

chubz007

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone suggest me anything that's good and new?

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still like David Sklansky's books and Rolf Slotboom's books the best.

T

tiantianchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you just start to learn poker, then you can still learn a lot from Doyle Brunson's books.

If you already beats micro-stake games (then probably you won't post this question in the first place), you can learn more from videos made by online players like leatherass or galfond than any poker books.

"tight is right" (from Brunson). Don't try to play aggressive unless you know how to play tight.