antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Are we talking about tournaments or cash games ? Either way , I speak as an amateur poker player , I have to say I have folded many times AK at zoom cash tables and I always tag , keep notes on the people that shove with AK full stack :)
On tournaments it's another story , it's much easier to shove or call an all in , but not early I would say imho

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK suited, a case for that. AK offsuit though? No, I would just raise if nobody else has. Most pocket pairs have more chance to win than AK heads up don't forget.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are a newcomer to poker, let me give you some advice: AK is a very big hand. It’s even-money to beat almost any pair, and a good favourite against every other hand. You must play it strongly.
If you have been playing poker for a couple of years, contesting a lot of tournaments, watching the game on television, wondering whether to start calling yourself ‘a professional’, let me give you some advice: AK is not that big a hand. It’s no pair! Stop moving all-in as soon as you see it! Play it with some finesse, for heaven’s sake!
Victoria Coren "For Richer For Poorer"

0_5v

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We call AK, Anna Kournikova very pretty, but hardly won anything.

I don't go more than 3BB as initial bet with AK.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no unconquerable hands. That's really funny when some people think that AA / AK / etc. can guarantee the winning. It's strong enough to play aggressively - and wisely.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never call or go all-in with AK in a cash game unless my opponent is really short-stacked or has been making a lot of 3bets against me preflop. You have to remember that even though it is a strong hand, without a hit you have nothing but Ace high, not even a pair and that is hardly ever good enough. I 3bet with it almost every time but play it very cautiously from then on if I get called. Especially if I don't hit a pair on the flop. In tournaments I am much more willing to raise/call all-in with AK if my stack is getting low.

AK has always been one of those hands that I find very hard to play. I'd much rather take something like 87s in my hand any day :D

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's so great about AK. They are just two cards that can be made or broken with the community cards.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nobody is unbeatable and that includes this hand.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's so great about AK. They are just two cards that can be made or broken with the community cards.
In all-in HU situations:

-Only behind AA/KK but you block some combinations, making those hands less likely
-Virtual coin-flip vs 22-QQ
-Crush all Ax/Kx hands
-Favorite vs all other unpaired hands.

No all-in pre situations:

-A or K on flop always gives TPTK, crushing weaker Ax/Kx hands.
-Great fold equity on most flops they miss vs a lot of hands, making it one of the best hands to c-bet.
-Great hand to float on a lot of flops, sometimes giving a free river, thus giving you ~25% to hit TPTK on turn or river.

D3STR0Y3RaJ

D3STR0Y3RaJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK this hand is not so strong every suited hand have about 30-36% EV vs AK.

rari458

rari458

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great hand to shove/bluff against a small stack with, potentially changing the way others call your raises.

dundo84

dundo84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i have to shove then i would probably give AK advantage over 22-QQ.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no invincible hand. You can even be beaten if you have AA. In poker you need luck and to wait. Don't rush.

ntimidatr

ntimidatr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks!

I can sure learn a lot from all your responses, and I thank you kindly!

R

Reprise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game has changed quite a bit. I recall years earlier AK would be played less aggressively e.g. hit the flop or fold (hence given the name anna kournakova - looks pretty but never wins). And rarely seen calling an all-in preflop since it was technically still just A high.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate AK. PREMIUM hand according to all books, makes you want to play it to get out the riff raff. Smooth call except on the button

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm too used to playing sit and go's and turbo tournaments where you need to shove to stay ahead

R

Reprise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even knowing AKsuited is a dog against smaller pocket pairs I'd rather go with AK every time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 6.40.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 6.40.47 PM.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 19
BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK all-in pre-flop is a popular move that I myself play often, but NOT ALWAYS. It depends on stack sizes and how far the tournament has gone.

If there's too much to lose, I simply do not call or do not even raise with AK pre-flop. After all, AK has less than 50% chances against any pair.

AK of course works well in desperate situations and is a good call against someones All-in when your stack covers theirs.

I agree with those who say AK often are overvalued. Its hard to imagine people would often trust so much to even better pre-flop cards like 22, 33, 44... AK has earned too much of respect.

D

Dmutruu89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in such cases, you should act according to the situation.AA KK are very strong hands.but if you go all in you can lose your entire Bank.you need to think.poker intellectual game.you can play with small pairs

S

shabuj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK suited is really a good hand but I think going all-in is a bad decision at pre-flop.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a good hand. But, I think its better to see the flop, then make further decisions. If my chip stack is small, I usually push it preflop... Going all in at that time.
I lost with AK, last nite to 77.... So, its not as powerful as some may think...

paipingprung

paipingprung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always use the power of AK preflop and learn to play it post flop

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great starting hand to open with from any position, but it's a drawing hand and if you don't hit the flop you've got to proceed with caution. Depending on the flop and the ferocity of the betting you need to judge if you still may have the best hand, or you need to let it go.