General Theory - Learning Poker Books

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also recommend "Harrington on Hold'em". I only read the first vol, but this is a great book for tournament players.

R

RichardsL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Internet texas holdem" - Matthew Hilger, heard a few good things about it but couldn't say personally. A bit older though... 2003

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theory of Poker David Sklansky. Not a step by step, but makes you think like a poker player.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend you read first Little Green Book and HOH vol 1-3 next.

N

NightHawk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about any cash game specific books, like HOH and Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time is specific for tournaments?

T

tomi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an absolute beginner, should I read 'theory of poker (Sklansky)' or
'Super System'?
Thanks

N

NightHawk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'Super System'?
Thanks

Theory of Poker teaches you what the game of poker is in a broad sense and what you should account for. Supersystem gets into a little more detail, but I'd say Theory first

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
'Super System'?
Thanks

neither.

For a first book for a beginner I'd recommend Phil Gordon's Little Green Book.

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. I hope and be happy.

On the issue still have not had the opportunity to read a book of Poker. I would love to help me find the right one to improve my game. They were greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, happy Spend rest of the day.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Peculiar thing about book learning. Without some experience to hang what you read on, it ends up being about like reading a book on How to Speak proper Mandarin with no feedback.

So first, as a beginner, you should be playing lots of hands. For a decent duration, play money games are fine. Once you feel you can do ok at the micro levels of play money, you will have played enough hands so that your experience will provide the rack upon which you can hang book learning.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
spending time on playchip tables in hopes of gaining a foundation (a.k.a. 'a hook to hang book learning on') would be like attending English classes & expecting to speak French upon graduation.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can go to YouTube, and look up "poker tips by Daniel Negreanu". Any of his books are great for anybody that is just starting out. He has been streaming on twitch as well.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
spending time on playchip tables in hopes of gaining a foundation (a.k.a. 'a hook to hang book learning on') would be like attending English classes & expecting to speak French upon graduation.

So what is your solution? I get the notion that you would want this beginner to deposit $1000.00 and then seek you (a shark), out to teach him all he will ever need to know about poker?

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One solution would be to keep posting until you become eligible to play in our free rolls, and join in our league play. It helps to compete against poker players that are more experienced than you are. :)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learning poker with play chips=learning to drive through playing with hot wheels.

BobGrayling

BobGrayling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of Daniel Negrano... I found one of his books for FREE at the Google Play store. Downloaded it to my tablet. Haven't read it yet. :)

MrFerguson

MrFerguson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bought The Theory of Poker by David Slanksky and had it read in two days in work! Will re-read it, it was mostly on Razz and other forms of poker rather than NL but it is full of useful information. I'll be buying a book a week from now on and building up my collection my next one will be Davids NLHE theory and practice I think I will be able to relate to it more than the other.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that although the books today are not the best source of conhecimendo about poker , the super system of Bronson , and the Dan Herington are excellent sources of the general theory , but would recommend you a coach or a school of poker , I believe this will greatly improve your game !!!

GL !!!