Freerolls tournaments

V

vatopkr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your best strategy to get a great stack of chips in early levels ?
Since I do my best and I get a stack of chips about 15k other guys have between 100k and 200k in blinds of 600 -1200 :confused

Dalsue214

Dalsue214

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early levels you should sit back in a freeroll and wait for a hand like you are doing. Others will eventually spew chips to you and you will work your way up.

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be in such a rush to chip up. My only gauge is whether I have ten BBs or less. If I have more, I don't worry and play my normal game. If I have less, I look to be first raiser (allin) with any ace, any pair or any two painted cards.

It does not matter how many chips the rest have. Only that I am still in the event with 10BB or more.

D

dragic1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for someone to lose a big hand and see if they immediately shove all in. Tilt is a major factor in freerolls.

Duey

Duey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be in such a rush to chip up. My only gauge is whether I have ten BBs or less. If I have more, I don't worry and play my normal game. If I have less, I look to be first raiser (allin) with any ace, any pair or any two painted cards.

It does not matter how many chips the rest have. Only that I am still in the event with 10BB or more.

This is good advice!

N

Nylan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get busted by all that noobs in the begin off a Freeroll,

imo there are so many donks whit that 100 K freeroll Privilege , on PS

A

ak725

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be a lucky donk. The donks are going all in and one wins and get a big pot.
100k freeroll on PS. (russians in so many times).
if you want to go deep in the tournament just play real poker.

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
youd be amazed how he players who in the first few levels build stacks of like 100s of times the starting stack but still manage to lose it all quickly. your only real measure of when to be concerned about the siz of your stack is when you measure it vs the amount of blinds (and perahps against the average if on the bubble) youd be surprised how quickly your stack can cacth up to the other big stacks as the blinds begin to rise

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play tight. that's it. TIGHT IS RIGHT.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
dont bother with players with 100k stack, just for your info keep track of some of them, they are either busted at first level or second or they have 100k stack, do you wanna be that player?
Wors thing that can happen to you is to let donks make you a donk!!! believe me i been there, nothing profitable wont came from it, you might think that you doing good but you'll just create bad habits which you'll have trouble to change... Play tight range of hands, play them aggressive, that means raise or fold, dont limp...

P

PerformanceLab

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely even see a flop during the first 3 blind levels on public freerolls, I keep as tight as possible to make sure not to bust right away. Once you reach the 3-4 level, all-iners are usually gone, or calmed down by then. I have even seen myself fold some Pocket A's after seeing the 4 guys ahead of me go all in. Like was posted before you need not worry about other's stack... simply make sure you have 10x bb, and all is fine. keep in mind also that a 25k stack is only 2 double ups from a 100k stack, which means that in the next 2 hands, you could be even with that 100k guy ( or even have taken him out )

So all and all, worry about your chips, and forget about theirs.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You see many go postal early on. Nothing worse than a luck box shoving with total garbage and sucking out. Early on, it's best (IMHO) to play post flop - you really need to see that flop before going to war.

What you need to do is play a solid fundamental game early in a freeroll. The mistakes made by the fish early on are all classic ones. Realize that, and you can use it against them;

1. Too many hands played.
2. Limp in UTG and then call raises OOP with God only knows what.
3. Donkey betting (betting post flop OOP into the original raiser)
4. Limp in with big hands vs raise with them.
5. Betting tells; they raise pre flop with big pairs huge (4x-8x), small pairs less (3x-4x), and limp/call Ax/Kx etc.
6. Kicker trouble (kicker? Whats a kicker?); plays weak aces, kings, you name it.
7. Bet at obvious boards, making their hand obvious (sets, flush/flush draw, etc)
8. bluffing calling stations. This is a big one. It's how weak players get big stacks early on.
9. Chasing draws without the proper pot odds to do so (pot odds? what are pot odds?)
10. Calling/betting dumb end of st8's and weak as hell 4-flushes.
11. C-betting weak, allowing draws to make it.
12. Betting st8's into flushes.
13. Betting flushes into full houses
14. Not letting go of one crappy pair on a dangerous board or to an obvious overpair
15. Calling shoves with ANY pair.
16. Stubborn raise calls from sb and bb (you are oop post flop) with horrible hands (see #6)

I could go on, but you get it.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Michael summed it up perfectly. There's no other chance than playing tight agressive game. Do right betting, ignore their stack sizes and stay cool. You might try to raise and steal blinds every now and then, but from my experience they usually call. They keep calling raises even with pretty weak hands. So that means no bluffing either, someone normally calls you.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played more than a few freerolls in my day and can say definitively that the key to winning is 100% pure luck in the early stages. Don't try to outthink your opponents - many are just pushing all-in willy nilly with any two. Pocket Aces will often lose in the early stages, while 72o can take down a HUGE pot. If you get a couple of hours in, then you should play real poker (TAG). When most players get short-stacked (all-in madness time), sit out for a while because many players will be pushing with marginal hands (unless you can go heads-up and you have a good hand).

Last edited:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've won (final table) freerolls with ten thousand starters, but it takes 6 - 8 or more hours and the payoff is tiny. You won't get rich, but it feels good to make it that far.

jorzunik

jorzunik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play tight fold hands marginals and push good hands or raise and steal blinds is important in agressive play,,

it results luck:::

K

Kopiec Kreta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing a lot of freerolls for training and my advice is to be patient, play tight but agressive when you got a real hand (raise/reraise), don't limp if you're UTG/BB/SB and got marginal hand, Ace with weak kicker, small pair or even some suited cards.
Just be patient and wait for you chance.

PS. Sometimes you can need to fold a good hand.

B

belay raduga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
strategy in MTT in the beginning of the tournament, one - in preflop not all-in - go to the Bank on the minimal rate and never log Bank with a large number of man - lucky in such cases, it is very rarely wait a bit - the first 2,000 participants fly very quickly - well, and then watch your stack and play your game in the first hand in my memory even AA and KK flew against the 22 - patience and a bit of luck and everything is tip-top)

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play acording the effective amount of blinds. If you have 20 blinds, you just have to wait for a really strong hand and shove all in hoping to double up. If you have 70 blinds, you have to play tight, and less hands, and try never to go all in preflop, unless with AA or KK. Notice that if you are the only big stack in the table, and the rest of the players have around 20bb, you should play as if you had just 20, because you can never get to bet more than 20

V

vallvulkov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freerolls often, and I use different tactics. If there are many people, I'm going All In early to increase my stack, otherwise no chance to break. After that (if i'm still alive) I play very tight. If less people participate, no need to make crazy tings - just play normaly.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Early levels I usually wait for a good hand to push all in and double my stack. This strategy works pretty good to me in freerolls.

P

PrecisionBets14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Early play should be tight and observant of those around you. As you get later in the tourney you should open up your game (not getting too crazy) to take advantage of those that are playing super tight just to outlast the bubble.

V

vatopkr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OOP

You see many go postal early on. Nothing worse than a luck box shoving with total garbage and sucking out. Early on, it's best (IMHO) to play post flop - you really need to see that flop before going to war.

What you need to do is play a solid fundamental game early in a freeroll. The mistakes made by the fish early on are all classic ones. Realize that, and you can use it against them;

1. Too many hands played.
2. Limp in UTG and then call raises OOP with God only knows what.
3. Donkey betting (betting post flop OOP into the original raiser)
4. Limp in with big hands vs raise with them.
5. Betting tells; they raise pre flop with big pairs huge (4x-8x), small pairs less (3x-4x), and limp/call Ax/Kx etc.
6. Kicker trouble (kicker? Whats a kicker?); plays weak aces, kings, you name it.
7. Bet at obvious boards, making their hand obvious (sets, flush/flush draw, etc)
8. Bluffing calling stations. This is a big one. It's how weak players get big stacks early on.
9. Chasing draws without the proper pot odds to do so (pot odds? what are pot odds?)
10. Calling/betting dumb end of st8's and weak as hell 4-flushes.
11. C-betting weak, allowing draws to make it.
12. Betting st8's into flushes.
13. Betting flushes into full houses
14. Not letting go of one crappy pair on a dangerous board or to an obvious overpair
15. Calling shoves with ANY pair.
16. Stubborn raise calls from sb and bb (you are oop post flop) with horrible hands (see #6)

I could go on, but you get it.
Thank you very much for your advice my pokerpal, but I m sorry with my English , What does OOP mean ?:D

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for your advice my pokerpal, but I m sorry with my English , What does OOP mean ?:D

It means out of position.

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is a really good advice, but I think is easy to forget. I like the hero get stressed up when I see that there is huge stack in game and I only have increased a little bit. I, and I think many players most train this :)

Freeroll Passwords