Freeroll Tournament Strategy

T

Tom102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try and chip up in the first 30 mins, shove with top 20% hope you get lucky and manage to have a good stack for the middle stage. Remember it's free.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah,m the donkament

All I play is MTT freerolls. My thinking is that if I can get good and survive these, maybe not win, but survive deep, my poker skills will be much inhanced. I mean, what a great place to see just about every wrong play ever made!

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All I play is MTT freerolls. My thinking is that if I can get good and survive these, maybe not win, but survive deep, my poker skills will be much inhanced. I mean, what a great place to see just about every wrong play ever made!
It's a ****ing lottery. The stack sizes and blind structure make donk moves correct almost all throughout the tournament, which is the point. You're not gonna learn anything playing them.

M

MaDaMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, i don't know what to say.
I thought that if you were to play at a higher level, like ChromeStar on pokerstars, things would be different and people would play poker not coinflips.

It is still a coinflip. I placed in the 2k out of a 18k freeroll.
I played Pokerschool freerolls and finished itm twice out of 8-9k people. It is basically a coinflip with slight hints of poker.

barracuuuda

barracuuuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight until you get to the final table. Tight-aggressive is always the best way to go and that means folding hands like AK when missing the flop. Just know when to lay down or be aggressive .

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a ****ing lottery. The stack sizes and blind structure make donk moves correct almost all throughout the tournament, which is the point. You're not gonna learn anything playing them.
I disagree. You will learn to beat freerolls (potentially learn).

In the past I would on occassion, wade my way through some freerolls on Stars while working at my desk (you don't have to concentrate that much). More often it was mixed games or Stud H/L, etc. I might've played 20 of them, & have 7tickets.

You're not going to learn how to win the WCOOP or SCOOP by playing freerolls.. but you will learn something.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree. You will learn to beat freerolls (potentially learn).

In the past I would on occassion, wade my way through some freerolls on Stars while working at my desk (you don't have to concentrate that much). More often it was mixed games or Stud H/L, etc. I might've played 20 of them, & have 7tickets.

You're not going to learn how to win the WCOOP or SCOOP by playing freerolls.. but you will learn something.

What games do you need to learn to play to be able to compete in the WCOOP & SCOOP?

R

rodpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
public freerolls

It seems to me that playing in large public free-rolls is a lot like playing bingo. So many players just don't play poker, it's more like playing cards with my brothers kids. I'm not referring to private game like cardschat's where people know one another and try to play decently. What are the opinions of some of our more experienced folks? Is it really even worth the time and effort to play those $50 games with 1,300 players when most players go all-in with any hand with ace rag or a face card? I've been out of the poker scene for several months and since I've been back playing again these thing really drive me nuts.
icon8.gif

B

beerobrian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain. The worst freeroll I hate playing are on Carbon poker. 2500+ players to only win $0.30 after 3.5 hours of play. So I do not think they are worth playing at all.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have at least 1 VIP point on Carbon, they offer a $25 daily freeroll which gets around 200 runners....

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
life is short and time is precious ,to spend much of it poker freerolling to build a bankroll is a waste of time . but if you must, i would say get good or get gone. dont try to hang around push hard get a stack or get busted and do something constructive

X

xCipx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
basiclly once u get past the first break all the donks should b gone and u might actually have a good rest of the tournament