Free rolls are they worth it?

P

PokerKnave

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play free rolls but is it bad for my general game?

The reason I ask is that since it is for free I have no respect for the chips and will go all in with the likes of K8 suited when out of position.

In the end am I doing damage to my overall game or is the prospect of 3 or 4 hours playing for £25 a good way of spending an afternoon?

mattzan

mattzan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you don't have nothing to do. and you have in mind that it is a freeroll, that's ok. I don't like to play freerolls because I get mad. hahaha. It will only damage your game if you are dumb and think at a $20 1-table SnGo... Well, at the freeroll I was all in with this hand (K 8) and won, maybe will happen here.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They're worth it if you don't have a bankroll. Even then I still go out of my way to play some of the shorter and larger ones.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends what u r looking to do.

I would not play freerolls as I have a decent bankroll - I would not play any game for less than a $5 buy in - it fits my bankroll.

However, freerolls are good if

1) You have just suffered a bad beat and u wanna play like a maniac
2) You play it alongside another tourny u have paid for
3) You want to try something out

Obviously, as has been posted, if u don`t have a bankroll u have little other option.

Just my thoughs guys and gl

T

testreet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah they are definetely worth it when you have the connections to the right freerolls. You also have to have deposited atleast once in your account to redeem freeroll money

seuatx

seuatx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on what kind of freeroll your playing , but if you go in it with no real playing spirit then whats the point .. ur just wasting time, which is fine if your bored and thats what you want

slgalt

slgalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Challenge yourself to play better. Use it as practice, build your bankroll. Don't devalue the chips. The more you take them seriously, the better prepared you will be for real money games.

In terms of time, they can be a grind, perhaps play 2 at once.

R

rakbarak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it much more challenging to "win" free money and try to grow it.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are fun. They wont ruin your game, but you have to adapt, as freeroll tactics usally dont work very well in buyins.
The thing I hate about freerolls is playing for like 6 hrs for 2$, but there are some freerolls that are really worth the effort.

2-7MakesMeRaise

2-7MakesMeRaise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got my account up from $0 to $10.09 this week :D
I think it feels better spending money you havnt been to work for:)

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Infinite ROI sounds kinda sweet, lol

R

rotrex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u play freerolls with 200 or less people with good prize the game is not like a regular freerolls and u can improve your game

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether and how much playing freerolls hurts your game is mainly a matter of how much self-discipline you have.

Whether and how much they help your game isn't necessarily the same thing.

And free money / infinite ROI might not look so good if you calculate how much you make per hour and it turns out to be tiny.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the idea of free money. You are investing your time in the freeroll so they are not free. Play them as you would play a high dollar game. Or use them to test something but remember there is always a cost. Your time.

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you know what you are doing and can change your game then freerolls are worth playing.
Otherwise you should stop to play them!

canucks921

canucks921

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't mix the two.

I don't think your doing damage as long as you can seperate real money tournaments and freerolls. However you should use freerolls to practice your tournament strategy. I know it is hard in the beginning with all the all in, but once you get past first break the play usually settles down to normal.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming you don't need them for your bankroll, freerolls are good, as long as you have an objective. Sometimes I will play my "A" game because I wanna practice being in a tourney for a long time. Other times I just wanna chip up early and practice my table bully strategy. Absent of that, I don't look at them as a profitable endeavor.

Sometimes I'll play a freeroll if my bankroll just took a hit to clear my mind as well.

I

iamquigzilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say if you don't mind losing to J 7 off once n a while and you are bored why not. I wouldn't take them too serious tho there are more than a few that don't ;)

E

eichrollyson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls r easy to make deep runs in by staying really tight and staying out of the all in hands. i usually place in the top 5% on ub.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls only hurt your game if you play them poorly. If you let the donk play roll off you, and play smart, you get a ton of free practice.

Obviously, on a $/hr calculation, they are a huge waste of time. But then, I play at such low levels usually, most of my poker time is not exactly going to support me. Heck, some months it could pay my internet bill... LOL

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Private Freerolls are best. I play the ticket based PS freeroll when I want to kill 4-6 hours. They are a good way to test broadening your range and other tests of that kind.

I play my best game I can when I enter these. I enter them thinking that I have real cash on the line.

Really nothing to lose by playing them unless you play diffrently in these and then take that play and try to apply it to real money buy -ins

smallteene

smallteene

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are always worth it for the practice, but not the TIME!! I started with free rolls and still play them, but find them very very very very time consuming. I still love em though and beating out all the donks can be a very natural high, especially when you cash..even if it's just for a dollar.

I have built a roll with free rolls and promos on FTP. I was tempted quite a bit to just say F it and play higher stakes with the possibility of losing it all...but i didn't. I waited for it to be over 50. Now I have the ability to play low micro stake ring /sng/tournies....so it's pretty nice. I do jump in the freerolls from time to time but not as much as I used to.

ALSO, playing freerolls, I ASSUME complete disrespect!! =) In every aspect of the online poker playing world. I come out alright.

S

sasquatch01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like freerolls i think it practice u can only get better even u play sngs the game last for like an hr but touranment can last for several hrs so playing freerolls are a good thing

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience playing good forum freerolls are very worth it. However I would give public freerolls a miss unless you willing to join the free for all poker game.

B

bmfbpi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is they are not worth the time