Folding Trip Aces

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain's play would be totally out of line with a K,and overbet shoving and showing the nuts is even worse.

seachicken

seachicken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain's play would be totally out of line with a K,and overbet shoving and showing the nuts is even worse.
I would have totally agreed with you until about a month ago and still do unless it is early on in tournaments that tend to have a fair amount of fish/donks. I play in a lot of live tournaments where you have a lot of people doing really stupid stuff early in tournaments. One guy that i play with in the same tournaments was always doubling up early on before the first break. I finally asked him how he was running so hot and he laughed and said i have been shoving the nuts. I laughed and thought what a donk. Then three weeks later we are at the same table and sure enough he moves all in on the turn and a solid Reg. calls. He turns over the straight and the reg has a set. Straigt holds for the win. I also know the Reg and at the break he was still waiting for a cash game and he was steamed. It he kept saying what kind of donk shoves i thought "x" (the guy who shoved) was a solid player.
So after the tournament i took "x" out for a beer and picked his brain. I found his rational was not totally crazy. In the first two rounds blinds are small we start with a 1/100 blinds structure. So we started to do some math and running several scenarios. After either flopping a large hand or getting one on the turn what do you really make early on in these tournaments? Not that much unless it is big hand vs. big hand. The board normally gets scary or it is so dry that the action also dries up. So if you make 20% how much does that help you in the long run compared to doubling up early on?

I almost never show my hand. He has always been showing the nuts. His reasoning is that it helps him later with the less experience players and I feel he has been shoving light against regs lately. I know on Sunday when I had top two pair he was light but I just couldn’t call.

A final thought about the JAQ flop. I had a similar situation occur a while back where UTG raised 3bb three people called and I called from the big blind with Kd10d. The flop came AdQsJd. I checked and UTG bet 2/3 pot and with one other caller and I called. The 10c came on the turn and I checked again and UTG bet the pot. I shoved thinking the UTG had the straight and we would probable split the pot plus I was on a freeroll with the diamond draw. If the diamond came on the river I wouldn’t be able to get anymore from him but I thought he would call the all in on the turn. He called and we split the pot.

D

Drivembig

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I have had Pocket As ran over so many times that slow playing them isn't even an option any more. I will bet it at least 5x the blind. At least that way if someone calls then you can put them on big cards. If they don't, then you take the blinds and be happy that you are seeing another hand.

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@drive , if it's a tourney best to just open shove . probably been snakebit too many times with aces but if i'm going down i might as well just do it quick

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His shove on the turn, sure he has a King sometimes but I'm unsure why he would shove him losing value from his monster hand? Flatting or just raising a little shows he has a King more times than shoving the turn.

Your donk min bet into the pot on the turn sensed so much weakness from him he thought you had something like a pair with maybe a straight draw.

When he shoves the Turn I'd snap call quite easily, there is a very little chance he is shoving a straight here he wants a lot more chips if not them all so calling, or half betting 3/4 betting the pot in the hope you call reeks of a straight.

I think you should of bet pot sized on the flop though.

D

DeSelby

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how does that even work? is you have top set any pair on the board gives you a full house, except for another ace which gives quads, furthermore no other full house would beat yours

The first part of my post was respodning to the question what did the guy have when he showed his hand, the situation when I folded my set.

The second part refers to ...........

I see what you mean, mmmm I will have to ask Thursday when we play again if the guy is there, he should be. I was on another table and was only interested in giving a bit of banter back at one of the guys who gave me a load of stick for folding my aces. It was almost a relief to see someone call and all in with the same hand and lose, I sort of felt my earlier decision was almost forgiven and would no longer be the talk of the pub!. I will honestly find out what the FH hand was and let you know but I do agree now thinking about it its a bit strange. Maybe I miss understood and the guy didnt have pocket aces but flopped two aces while holding one? As I say I will find out.

DeSelby

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His shove on the turn, sure he has a King sometimes but I'm unsure why he would shove him losing value from his monster hand? Flatting or just raising a little shows he has a King more times than shoving the turn.

Your donk min bet into the pot on the turn sensed so much weakness from him he thought you had something like a pair with maybe a straight draw.

When he shoves the Turn I'd snap call quite easily, there is a very little chance he is shoving a straight here he wants a lot more chips if not them all so calling, or half betting 3/4 betting the pot in the hope you call reeks of a straight.

I think you should of bet pot sized on the flop though.

Excellent post. --
icon14.gif

-

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is exactly because people would think that I am a moron if I shove with a K here that I shove. On a super wet board like that which my opponent almost certainly has a piece of, I am banking my opponent thinks "aha! no way he's so stupid as to shove the nuts here so he must be bullshitting!"

If it was me I wouldn't show my AA after folding. Then again, I rarely show.

D

DeSelby

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys sorry for the late responses, not able to get on poker sites from work and have very limited free time at the moment, the second situation I described above was actually involving a Flush v set Aces. Obviously I am at a low standard at the moment to not instantly pic up the error of me writing a Full House.

Incidental again the other night someone got pocket aces and flopped another. So in the space of about six weeks this has happened in the same pub three times. This time the set of aces also lost the hand. This time to a straight.

Folding in Poker