folding AK, AQ preflop (LOL?)

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was a key point in a tourney 9th place 12left top 10 get paid. Maybe for some people its insta shove but, I think Fold and call may have been ok considering going against a chip leader where I was certain I would get called. Not just a Bad beat.
Untitled

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your post is irrelevant to this thread AND it's a bad beat.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So there is no other play with this hand. All in every time in this spot? Serious question. If I fold Im still in 9th with a 1.5 BB lead over 11th&12th with 7 more hands to play before I get hit with the blinds again.. If I go all in, and if I get called which I was certain I would get a call, with the range I put him on; best case scenario I'm about 65%. Im still in good position to make the money if I fold, or was my all in +EV becuase, I would have jumped into 2ndor 3rdish. Its a 50person cap mtt with top ten get paid.

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP clearly asks first... should you fold AQ preflop against an all-in? You went all-in with AQ. Secondly, he asks should you fold AQ in an AIPF situation? You weren't even heads up. you still had a player left to act behind you. Your hand is nothing more than... what WVHillbilly said.

But since you're obsessing... you would be way wrong to fold this hand pre... and you're certainly not folding it on the flop. Your opponent isn't either. Oh, well. That's poker. Move on.

If min-cashes are meaning that much to you, move down in stakes. If you're not losing every chip possible when that board runs out, you should just go play chess instead. You play... to win... the game.

J

Johnboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey yall, this is my first post, I actually googled the same question and this thread was the top result.

Here's an example of when I folded AK preflop yesterday. I was on the bubble with AK suited, I raised UTG and button re-popped all in followed by another all in by BB. Having been the bubble boy last time I played in this particular tourney, I decided to fold. Turns out I had both of them dominated preflop, but my hand wouldn't have hit, and I would have been eliminated. I ended up winning the tourney later with another AK all in preflop vs A10, so turns out it was a good fold.

To answer your question, calling all in w/ AK preflop and heads up is probably not a bad idea, however in most cases it's going to be a coinflip. You're going to have to win some coinflips to win in holdem.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know if OP means only tourneys or not. But in cash I find myself folding AQ and AK in a few spots. And I am also getting it in sometimes as well. It is all opponent specific. I raised UTG+1 with AKo got a sizable re raise from a 11/7 in MP and an all in push from a 9/4 in the blind. I did not like my AK anymore and away it went. We were all >100BB The MP called the all in with KK and SB called with AA: I had an all in push from a 90/48 (seriously) to my button raise with AK and I snap called. He shows QT and I hold.

So, in cash anyway, AK is gonna be an easy fold and an easy call to all ins, depending. AQ as well, but I tend to throw it away easier.

Aha. Just paid attention, OP is asking mainly HU. So, that will be totally different, and I am not the one to answer here. If its HU pre due to folds, then it is player specific. If its a HU games, IDK, but thinking AK is the absolute nutz here and AQ not to far behind if first in.And maybe even calling??

Last edited:
R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey yall, this is my first post, I actually googled the same question and this thread was the top result.

Here's an example of when I folded AK preflop yesterday. I was on the bubble with AK suited, I raised UTG and button re-popped all in followed by another all in by BB. Having been the bubble boy last time I played in this particular tourney, I decided to fold. Turns out I had both of them dominated preflop, but my hand wouldn't have hit, and I would have been eliminated. I ended up winning the tourney later with another AK all in preflop vs A10, so turns out it was a good fold.

To answer your question, calling all in w/ AK preflop and heads up is probably not a bad idea, however in most cases it's going to be a coinflip. You're going to have to win some coinflips to win in holdem.

Folding was bad.

It's never hardly a coin flip with A,K, you're quite up agaisnt a weak ace.

Sure flipping with A,K vs underpairs is common and it's a must, even on the bubble...

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding was bad.

It's never hardly a coin flip with A,K, you're quite up agaisnt a weak ace.

Sure flipping with A,K vs underpairs is common and it's a must, even on the bubble...

^this.
as much as I hate getting it all-in with AK, if its on the bubble, Im shoving, and calling an all-in if I think Im ahead. get it in good, and leave the rest to the poker gods.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you hate getting it all-in with AK?

if its raised, and I 3 bet and they shove, I always feel my AK will be dominated. Ak is only ahead of AQ/AJ and flipping with high pocket pairs, and I dont like flipping. sorry if this dfoesnt make sense, Ive been up 24 hours and starting to flag.

O

Okietrucker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Happened to me last night

Live tournament in Roland, Ok. Under the gun raised to $1,200 with AQ (which I didn't know at the time, blind were up to $200/$400). Problem is/was player was just moved to our table and had no idea how tight I was playing. I shoved all in (around $4k, starting chips were $5k) with AK, not thinking that guy has no idea I'm tight. Table folds all the way around to raiser. He thinks about it for a good 2 minutes and calls. He turned over AQ and I was super excited, I turned over AK, and he awwww sh**. He knew he made a bad call. Flop came AQQ! I was dead. He made a bad decision and got lucky and he knew it. I didn't care too much for the stand up yell fist pump, were that me, I would have kept quiet thanking my lucky stars I didn't just lose 75% of my stack. I was favored by 75%, and just got blasted. That's the way it goes.

L

LMStanding

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this is an old thread, however, just played a revelant hand.

tournament, freeroll, top ten place in cash. only 17 players left. I had 21 big blinds setting at the cut off with AQ suited. folded to me I min raise. button went all-in I snap called. Pocket Queens beat me.

This late in tourney, should I have called?

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so.....
is there ANY situation where AK,AQ should be folded preflop against an all in.

i can imagine in a full game where 4 or 5 people are all in pre (very unusual), might be a decent fold there.

my question is really about heads up tho. is there ANY instance where i should be folding that hand in an all in preflop situation?
Only when there is like you said 4,5 allins in preflop in heads up you shouldnt fold.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Relative Pot sizes will be very important. If you have a big chip lead, you can afford to go all in against a short stack. If you are the short stack, I would probably fold unless I already had a lots of chips invested.

Folding in Poker