Fold pocket Kings

A

Andrei Afrasinei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. This is my first thread here but I'm so confused. I want to tell you guys a spot I was in and I really want to know your opinions.

4.40$ PKO - after bubble (so pretty late game)
I'm in middle position with pocket kings
I'm the second in chips but the table is balanced (between 30 and 55 big blinds on everyone).
Blinds are 1k and 2k
UTG raises to 5k
folds to me
I re-raise to 10k
folds to big blind who calls
UTG guys calls
so right now there are like 35k chips in the pot

Flop comes A 8 4 rainbow
big blind raises 13.5k and UTG snap calls

In this moment I fold thinking at least one of them has an A because they both called my re-raise preflop
They end up to showdown and they show pocket 6 and pocket queens (they didn't hit the set by the end)
I would've won the hand but I want to know if my decision overall was good in that spot
Should I go all-in there and hope that someone calls and I win? Do I make my raise bigger? Should I call post flop ? I really didn't want to call because I would've fold on turn if they continued (which they did between them).

I really don't have anyone to talk about this :D
:five: Cheers.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think there's anything wrong with folding given your read, but another option is to raise the big blind on the flop to see what they do. I've been in this spot before and have kicked myself for folding but you just never know when you're up against Ax.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd folded on the flop expecting the rest of their stack in my face on the turn anyway. Donk call 66 on flop turn river whoever that was.

M

manyrivers2cross

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I think your move is reasonable given the A flop but one thing you left out is history on the other players. Not sure if I understand the circumstances, but if you have any data on previous patterns of play on the others, that could add up to a different decision...

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given the information here, I would not fault a fold with an ace out there.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with folding in this scenario. It's a perfectly reasonable move to make. However, I think I would have called in this situation based on chip amounts.
By my calculations, the pot has about 62K in it. I'm just guessing you had about 50BB which was 100K at the start and about 90K at the time of the decision. So, the situation is:

1. You have second best pair.
  2. You have position on future streets.
  3. You have 90K
  4. It would cost 13.5K to call and you have the potential of winning 62K+
So, even if you make the call and lose, you've still got 40BB+ to play with. Now, the reason I would call is the potential for a big bluff on the turn. Your pre-flop action followed by a call would look exactly like a trap with that board. If no one bets the turn, you could most likely take it down with a well timed bluff. Maybe if someone has the Ace you could convince them your Ace is better, or that you hit two pair. If someone does shove and you fold, you're still sitting pretty with 40BB+.

So, while a fold is just fine given the Ace on the board, I think a call would be m ore profitable in the long run.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is nothing wrong with folding. Better to be safe then sorry.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With pocket KK I usually go all-in pre flop and take my chances. Some examples of the results: someone calls and flops the and I am out, a crappy hand calls and slops-out and I am out, everyone folds and I steal the blinds, short stack calls and I chip-up, A big stack or two calls and I double-up or triple-up. Many times people will fold a weak ace pre-flop. Lots of good things can happen, or not. (I also avoid these decisions).

A

Andrei Afrasinei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Than you guys for your answers :D

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given that opponents called your 3-bet and A on the flop - I think you did the right thing. To continue the game after the flop, you need to know the style of the game opponents.

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I’d of tried getting it all in preflop but in your situation after the flop I’d of probably folded just the same as you and then kicked myself later but I’d say playing to showdown in that spot would more often result in you losing chips than gaining them

Folding in Poker