Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey All,

Question. How much do you float?

What aspects do you need to float the flop? I typically want to be in position. I also would rather a passive player behind me, but not necessary. Am I missing anything?

I used an example on the subject line. Many times I have limped In Position (IP) against one player and the flop has come 9 5 3 rainbow (or some very dry flop w/ 8 or 9 hi). If I have an aggressive player in front of me or someone who hit the flop, I often call. My reasoning is because I believe that with (w/) 9 hi, and 10, J, Q, K and sometimes A will allow me to bet large on the turn and take it away.

Does anybody do this? What other times do you float? What is your reasoning?

Later,

STUD

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well floating kind of depends on the games you're playing, ie what types of opponent's you're up against. If you've got someone who's very 'one and done', then you can float all types of dry boards. Axx, Kxx, Txx, 662, etc etc.

As you move up, people start to barrel tons of turn cards as a bluff, so floating gets a bit more complicated. To float, I have to make sure I'm either up against those one-and-done players, or that my hand has some protection against those overs. For ex I flat AQs on the button vs an aggressive CO opener. Flop comes 952r with one spade. I'm always floating here because a) his range missed the board most of the time so I actually have equity against his range with the second nut high card and backdoor outs, b) he's going to bluff an ace or a queen a huge portion of the time when it comes on the turn, c) he'll also value bet thinly on an A or Q with say JJ, and d) he'll often give up on other cards (specifically a 9 and under, sometimes a T).

So it all comes down to our hand (preferrably we have some outs, like a gutshot), the board texture (likelihood of it turning out good or bad for our respective ranges), and our opponent's tendencies (does he barrel much? Does he give up lots?).

Floating multiway gets a lot more complicated and it's something I just wouldn't without some really solid hand-reading skills and reads on my opponents.