Field exploitable trends in micro limits

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello hello CC community. I want to open this thread so that we contribute what we perceive as general trends in the field of micro limits (up to $ 11) and the ways to exploit them.

I put the first one: the players do too much cbet. It is not uncommon to see some with a 100% cbet.

I would almost say that it is the general belief that if you open the bets then you have to keep betting the flop regardless of the cards that fall.

One of the most obvious leaks of this trend is a very weak check range.

They are usually slowplaying the nuts, or they have nothing at all. So betting against the missed cbet of these players (as long as the board doesn't favor the OR rank) can be highly lucrative.

Well, I hope and read your contributions.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely agree, that players tend to over C-bet in low stakes tournaments, and the reason is, that players also tend to fold to much to flop C-bets, especially when stacks start to get a little short, and maybe there is some ICM-pressure as well. Stabbing against missed C-bets is one way to exploit this, as you suggest.

But the player, who over C-bets, will also have a weak C-betting range, so you can also look to float this player more, when you have position. And you can look to check-raise more, when you are out of position, especially on low boards, where he has missed a lot. Some players will more or less automatically C-bet their :jc4::ah4: on :7d4::3s4::5d4: when they have position, which really open them up to getting attacked with a check-raise.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely agree, that players tend to over C-bet in low stakes tournaments, and the reason is, that players also tend to fold to much to flop C-bets, especially when stacks start to get a little short, and maybe there is some ICM-pressure as well. Stabbing against missed C-bets is one way to exploit this, as you suggest.

But the player, who over C-bets, will also have a weak C-betting range, so you can also look to float this player more, when you have position. And you can look to check-raise more, when you are out of position, especially on low boards, where he has missed a lot. Some players will more or less automatically C-bet their :jc4::ah4: on :7d4::3s4::5d4: when they have position, which really open them up to getting attacked with a check-raise.

Thanks for your reply Fundiver. I add something to your comment: it ´s important to look at the villain's stats the cbet to the flop and cbet to the turn, when there is a lot of difference he´s a candidate to float to steal the pot.

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over C Betting

Some players will more or less automatically C-bet their :jc4::ah4: on :7d4::3s4::5d4: when they have position, which really open them up to getting attacked with a check-raise.

I agree that players tend to over C Bet in general due to players over folding, but when you are playing IP in a single raised flop I think it's generally fine to play a simplified strategy on dry boards (ie. C bet your entire range for 1/3 of the pot). In general I doubt anyone will be punishing you at these stakes for doing this.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is also highly situational (since we typically want to play ABC poker against weak opponents), but tables that are aggressive (like c-betting too much) I sometimes like to trap. Maybe mixing in some limps with JJ or QQ etc. You can also get a good price on some flops with "less premium" hands and catch a straight or a flush. If someone at micro level has top-pair or two-pair, they usually have more trouble getting away from their hand and you might just bust them right there! Not necessarily saying to start playing any two cards to hope for a straight or a flush, but just saying that you might be able to extract more chips from them reliably when you do connect.

Stronger players are better at hand reading and disciplined enough to lay down the good-looking hands. Many players (especially some aggro ones) have trouble folding when they get a piece of the board.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that players tend to over C Bet in general due to players over folding, but when you are playing IP in a single raised flop I think it's generally fine to play a simplified strategy on dry boards (ie. C bet your entire range for 1/3 of the pot). In general I doubt anyone will be punishing you at these stakes for doing this.

This strategy lacks to take into account the position of the aggressor and the opponent and without considering those aspects you will always make many mistakes.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is also highly situational (since we typically want to play ABC poker against weak opponents), but tables that are aggressive (like c-betting too much) I sometimes like to trap. Maybe mixing in some limps with JJ or QQ etc. You can also get a good price on some flops with "less premium" hands and catch a straight or a flush. If someone at micro level has top-pair or two-pair, they usually have more trouble getting away from their hand and you might just bust them right there! Not necessarily saying to start playing any two cards to hope for a straight or a flush, but just saying that you might be able to extract more chips from them reliably when you do connect.

Stronger players are better at hand reading and disciplined enough to lay down the good-looking hands. Many players (especially some aggro ones) have trouble folding when they get a piece of the board.

Could we say that the trend you mention is underfold?

Searching for projects can be a lucrative alternative as long as the effective stack is deep enough. A flush or straight is rarely completed on the flop and with 20bb, for example, you will find yourself in a difficult decision many times.

About limp good hands, I'm not a big fan of this strategy unless I'm really sure of receiving the raise, but it should be interesting to try it out.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could we say that the trend you mention is underfold?

Searching for projects can be a lucrative alternative as long as the effective stack is deep enough. A flush or straight is rarely completed on the flop and with 20bb, for example, you will find yourself in a difficult decision many times.

About limp good hands, I'm not a big fan of this strategy unless I'm really sure of receiving the raise, but it should be interesting to try it out.

At 20bb, you probably shouldn't be fishing for straights: I am referring to specifically deep-stacked poker with this part. The "advice" I mention I can't take credit for myself: it is largely based on principles by Daniel Negraenu's "small ball" approach in his book "Power Holdem Strategy."

This isn't the only way to play solid poker (Personally, I like to use it as one "gear" I may shift into as part of my arsenal in adapting to opponents and the table). If this strategy entices you, then checking out the book is a must; however, you should be aware of the assets as well as drawbacks to playing this style of poker too. I love this approach, but it isn't all roses for every player. Some drawbacks include:

- It not being a good strategy to employ if you lack post-flop skills because your looser image with get more calls and you entering many pots can get you into trouble if you really are a maniac player.

- Players aware of your strategy will adapt by simply 3-betting wider and firing more often on the Turn/River with less or nothing (although this point may prove an advantage to us sometimes too)

- Lastly (an important point for me personally), is that with this strategy, you will seldom EVER win really huge pots unless someone shoves all-in. Why? Simple. Even with stronger hands, the strategy involves keeping pots relatively small. Even with hands as good as AK, we are playing a small pot with "small ball poker." Sure, you can value bet hands like AK aggressively (and have it work for you if that is your play-style), but that doesn't fit too well with this approach.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sure and if you notice, that some of the better regulars are beginning to attack your C-bets, then adjust against them specifically. There is no need to take the same line against everyone. Adjusting to each individual opponent is, what good exploitative poker is all about.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players will more or less automatically C-bet their :jc4::ah4: on :7d4::3s4::5d4: when they have position, which really open them up to getting attacked with a check-raise.

Why wouldn't you c-bet that flop? It's a bet for value. There is a slim chance that someone hit that flop unless you are against 4 or more...

C- betting is not a matter of range but a matter of flop structure. It would be devastating to check here having the best hand and see a K or Q hit the turn

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why wouldn't you c-bet that flop? It's a bet for value. There is a slim chance that someone hit that flop unless you are against 4 or more...

The reason why, checking back AJo is almost certainly the most "correct" play is, that the player defending his blinds is more likely to have hit the flop than the player raising preflop, especially if it was from early position. And players, who are aware of this, can attack you with a lot of check-raises, which you can not effectively defend against, if you C-bet to wide.

Also as you kind of touch on yourself, AJ has some showdown value. But its not strong enough to get multible streets of value, and therefore checking back the flop is a reasonable play. Its basically about being more balanced, which admittedly you only need to be against good players, who will exploit you, when you are not.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm playing only micro-limits and don't know real poker, but for me c-bet here is obvious. I would do it with any 2 cards. It will win most of the pots immediately. With AJ I can not only have the best hand here which is very probbable but I can also force better hands - like small pairs to fold. If they check-raise me than go ahead from time to time I will have premium hand.