Fastest way to improve ?

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that has really helped me lately is a pre and post session routine. Before starting play, I make a list of one or two things that I really wan't to work on in this session. For example, I have been having some struggles with play on the river lately so one of the things on my list has to do with that. Another item is to remain positionally aware. Focus on the biggest thing you are trying to fix and really work on it during the session. After the session I look to see if I followed my plan and also to see if anything else turned up (difficult spots etc) and whatever I find becomes part of next session's plan.

As far as studying, I just finished Dusty Schmidt's book and he recomends 80/20 play to study. As for what to study, videos have helped me a ton. I use Deuces Cracked but Drag the Bar is awesome too. l feel like I can take a concept straight from a video and go make money. The main thing is to use what you study and put in the hours.

Bill

B

-----bryce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
exactly what youre doing by being on this site. you need to read a lot of osts and hear what people have to sya other then that just by playing a lot most people have but in so much time into poker and thats how they gain experience

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that has really helped me lately is a pre and post session routine. Before starting play, I make a list of one or two things that I really wan't to work on in this session. For example, I have been having some struggles with play on the river lately so one of the things on my list has to do with that. Another item is to remain positionally aware. Focus on the biggest thing you are trying to fix and really work on it during the session. After the session I look to see if I followed my plan and also to see if anything else turned up (difficult spots etc) and whatever I find becomes part of next session's plan.

Bill

This is about how I am doing things now. After running a session I look over my hands and different spots and try to pick out a few things I would like to work on and make them a focus in my next session.

B

bigbigbucs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn from

As a kid growing up i remember learning to shoot billards. And my father told me to practice as much as i could. And he would teach every week a new lesson when i got my allowance for that week. And every week he would take back my allowance. But I learned quickly, not to play with more then i could afford to lose. Kinda like br mgt. But one thing my father told me was if you realy want to improve was to play players that were better then myself. Cause it's easy to win with average players but you don't improve. So i'm sure the same principle works for poker. My game is improving I am playing smaller fields with great players. And do look forward to joining in sum cc games soon.

M

Mr Whatever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for the fastest way to improve ur game id say is to focus on specific problems/situation that u find urself in, rather than just trying to take a generalized approach like reading a whole book on poker tourn or cash play, or watch random poker vids on different issues. i mean its like if some1 read an entire general math book but couldnt solve 1 of the problems in it because they didnt take the time to master any of them, it would be a big waste of time.

this is why so many ppl say it takes a huge amount of time to master holdem. because they have to master specific situations.

id say stay focused on that problem for awhile. review the problem in ur poker tracker or whatever means u use to take notes. then come up with a solution that fits ur style of play but try to learn more about the situation by forums and up to date books that might give u an even better solution to dealing with that problem that fits ur style of play. then move to an another situation.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to play to get better at poker but there is also merit in reading the right books and watching good poker videos. Unfortunately too many people watch tv poker and try to copy some of the players on there. In my opinion tv poker teaches people bad habits which they try to use online.