Expected Value graphic

M

MartinV96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
Im making good decisions? Im playing good? expected value graphic?

I've been learning poker and studying it quite recently. Been playing in GGPoker about a month ago. As some of you may know, you can go to PokerCraft where you can watch your analytics and check your EV graphic. Does this tells you if you are playing good?

Because im going through, what i think that is, a losing streak. Im always trying to be objective when im making right or wrong decisions. But this weeks ive been getting some coolers, bad beats, bad luck (i believe)

Tell me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, as long as the green line is equal to or above the orange line, it means that you are making good decisions for what you are expected to generate value.

The thing is that as a new poker player, it is logical and reasonable that the doubt comes to mind: how long can it be a bad streak? Could it be that there is something I'm not seeing and I think I'm making good decisions overall? Could it be that it's just a bad streak and that I should continue adding volume? I want to leave you my expected value graph so that it may help you resolve my question.
I also attach what appears to me regarding luck in case it helps.

WhatsApp Image 2024 01 15 at 193559WhatsApp Image 2024 01 15 at 212855

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My friend, I think you need to keep learning and playing and you will reach heights in poker

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
The orange line versus the green line is the difference in expected value in all-in situations compared to what you actually won or lost. Nobody will have an orange and green line that is exactly the same. The difference between the two lines does not say anything about how good or bad a person is playing.

If the green line is on top it means that overall you were lucky/fortunate in all-in situations. Or if we'd prefer to be more scientific, variance favoured you during this time. You lost around $10 but on average would have lost around $14, just focusing on all-ins.

If the orange line is on top it means you had some bad luck during all-ins and that on average you would have won more or lost less than you actually did.

Remember that 3000+ hands isn't a huge amount when it comes to how variance or luck can affect our outcomes and the difference between the 2 lines is only talking about all-ins. All-ins are not the only times variance matters. A player can go on a run of getting fortunate or unfortunate turn cards in hands that never end up all-in for example. That would never show up in a graph like this. You can very easily play well and lose, and win when playing bad over this many hands too.

You were a little lucky the times you went all-in here.

Last edited: