Essential reading?

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive read most of the books listed above, so if you want, you can just pay me to coach you, ill only charge a modest 25$ an hour ;)

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a big fan of Ed Miller's books. I have found all of them to be interesting. Superstores and Harrington on holdem are also worth checking out.

S

shipitfish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Theory of Poker is an excellent book, but it's a tough read for newer players. It's very difficult for newer players to internalize the points that the book makes. I wouldn't recommend it for newer players.

I think Ed Miller's books are a good choice as well for newer players.

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harrington on Holdem 1 & 2, Negraneau's book but only the smallball section the rest is "erm", The Mental Game of poker or the other book with the same stuff in (the poker hero). Schoonmakers books are good for psychology. John Vorhaus gave the idea of Little Poison in one of his many books. I've just counted my books on poker and have 330 of them all of which I've read. Lee Jones Low Limit Holdem is probably the best for micro stakes fixed limit cash games moving onto the Ed Miller & Sklansky micros one as you move up. There's a lot not worth reading as well though. I've read both the Supersystems but they are outdated but are good for the "other" games. Hope that's some help

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very fundamental
Super system, and Super system 2.
if you play cash tables.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sorry if my question was to broad for you to answer. Judging by the replies so far I believe I'm on the right track anyway so no worries, thanks anyway Arjonius!

Actually that would really 'depend' & is a matter of opinion... because the majority of the books mentioned so far are a big fail (imo)... in other words > really not worth spending the time to read them & time could be much better invested in other books (especially ones that are more specific to one's needs, as mentioned by Arjonius).

There's a section/thread(?) on Cardschat that is all about the poker books.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Tournament Formula 1 & 2 - Arnold Snyder
Crushing the Microstakes - Black Rain
& any books by Ed Miller, Dan Harrington &/or David Slansky to name a few...