Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What age do you consider appropriate to teach a person to play poker? Regards.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing when I was 8 years old. I started teaching my son to play tournament hold em at 14 years. I think its fine as long as you teach them how to be a winning player which means you will have to commit to coaching them.

I dont let him risk any of his money though. As long as he doesnt have anything of his own at stake I dont see it leading to problematic behavior.

I dont think kids should be taught games of chance though. Poker is significantly different from games of chance.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think there is an appropriate age to learn, I remember that when I was kid (around 7-8 years), I started playing game cards (not poker) in family nights and it was a lot of fun. Of course that no money was involved, I only learned that you could play for money online when I was 18 years old..lol

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No age requirement really. The sooner the better in my opinion.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I first learned poker when I was about 5. It was 5 card draw poker, holdem' wasn't even popular back then. It was at a family Thanksgiving gathering. I remember we had about a dozen at the table. The antes were a penny. I made about 10 cents.

S

shzoid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to old to be old

no reason how old u are! it's all open for all ways everytime

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There si nothing wrong to teach a kid how to play poker if you explain to him/her the difference between playing poker for fun and gambling. I think though that before age of 18 it is not ok to play anything different than home games for few $.

S

shurik8888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To love all ages yield surrender!

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think there is a suitable age to learn to play poker, but if we talk about someone who wants to propose a goal to become a professional, I think that adolescence would be the right thing, since they retain enough information about what they have learned, they have enough time To start grabbing practice in freerolls and small tournaments so that at a young age they have a good command of the game.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I learned to play poker when I was 12 years old, my mother has taught me, I watched how she played poker with my dad and my uncles, that's why I told her that she wanted to play and to teach me, they played 5-card poker .

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we must focus on another thing than the age, which is the most important about teaching somebody for something - the qualities if someone has them to teach. It is very important to know, if you have the right methods to learn someone to do something, because we all know that not all people can teach the others. The age is not significant of teaching someone, except the situations, when it is about experience - that can help you sometimes. :)

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goethe's Faust wrote all his life, graduated in old age. You can play poker while you think. With age, experience comes.;)

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can learn to play poker at any time, you're not age-bound.

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A child is better to learn early. Children at 5 years old are easy to learn. And foreign languages and poker.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't think age is important, the important thing would be that person's interest in learning to play poker

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I started playing cards at 5 years old and continued at 62, but I learned to play poker at 61 at the insistence of a friend, I play without problems.

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have no age to learn my grandma start the school when she have 64 years old, and she teach me that age to learn is when you are alive.
In the day she died is her first missy class.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learning Poker

My family played poker and other card games all the time at family get together s . I was 10 when I got to sit at the adults table for the 1st time after many hours of practice with my Dad and older brother.

I don't think it matters how old one is to learn if they desire to do so and will put in the effort. One things for sure playing cards for sure helped with math and determining odds :))

Cheers all! :D

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Poker is not a game for kids! I think it is not appropriate to teach a child such a game, which we all know is a game with money. There are so many educational activities for those of young age, we must not inspire them that it is ok to play poker. When they grow up and discover this game, they will decide whether or not they want to know about poker.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a poker player should be at least 16 years old. This is a gamble and therefore children can not play such games.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What age do you consider appropriate to teach a person to play poker? Regards.

There is no set age IMO.

As soon as someone wants to learn.

It is a more complex card game than say - crazy eights.

So maybe starting with easier card games.

Poker requires patience - and the ability to take a beat or two without giving-up!

Robsant

Robsant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion has no age, I even like to be able to play for long years

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There's no limit by age. At the moment your brain is active, you can!

meagain00

D

ddsnoops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No age limit at all, As long as your having fun and play within a limit - your good to go

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As soon as one know numbers. :)