Early stages TOURNAMENT

R

Roccoa3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why pay attention to the stage? A theoretically sound strategy should only get more effective when confronted with bad players... Sure you can cut down on variance, but I've found just playing normally has the best EV.

Matanzima

Matanzima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not recommend this approach in the early stages of tournaments.

Considering several BBs, it depends a lot on the field knowledge to play this way

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on tournaments. If you play freeroll, then you need to look to double your chips in the early stage of tourney, but if you pay the entrance, you should be more careful, but you also need to use the first stage to double or even triple your chips. It will be easier for you after if you double/triple chips in the early stage of tourney. Good luck

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early stages just play really tight and when you play, make sure it's for value. I know people, especially on freerolls, like to shove all in a lot of time even with a marginal hand, but keep solid on your strategy, just think that it's free money when you get a hand in that spot.
So, you played very tight and now the blinds are incresing, it must be about level 8 or so, and you weren't lucky enough to get Aces Kings or Queens, your best hand till now was ATo and you had to fold cause you were out of position, so it's time for our B plan, let's put some gas on our game, that doesn't mean play any two in position, unless you think it's a good spot and have sure they will fold, but trying to steal blinds from Button and Cutoff is very profitable in this part of the tournament, so do it. If it's not working, either you are very unlucky and today it's not your day or there is something wrong with your game and perception, but now, your C plan here starts when you have about 10BB, so, what you do now? It's easy, open those push/fold charts you can find anywhere on the internet, and just shove all in when you fit in it.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the needle is expensive free tournament worth playing olin AA KK QQ JJ sutid AK AQ flop neither has the value of pasicia
I think it is risky to play all-in on JJ, QQ and AQ. I multiple times lost than won on these cards!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of tournaments it is not worth playing a lot of hands and playing with frankly weak hands. We need to wait for good top hands and give up with them if a very dangerous board or we do not hit.

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suggest you to play only on prefect hands in early stage because then you have more chance to win and if you 4-5x your balance you can go sit out for a long time and win a tournament more easy.

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be very tempting to go all in with AK / AQ etc in a donk fest but remember they're still only drawing hands and you'll still be a slight 2nd to any pair on a coin flip.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suggest you to play only on prefect hands in early stage because then you have more chance to win and if you 4-5x your balance you can go sit out for a long time and win a tournament more easy.

That's and I say, if I make a big stack, I'm better sit out some time than to play, a lot of times I lose the stack on strongest cards than in opponent.

A

Alphamuddle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most people here, best strategy is to play with the best hands only. Although I know best how tempting it is to call all-in with JJ, TT, AQ or even AJs when you are playing donk fest. But then, I got knocked out so many times because of such stupid moves that it can't be the right play. I guess you just have to survive first stages and try to play when fishes are out.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no all ins

Its a little risky to enter into that kind of game and it is not recommended for you inn order to survive will have to be very patient and some times play only strong hands AA,KK, QQ, AK. Even so there will be times when your going to lose. The big win comes in time.
I lost with AA against KQ off suited but hay thats life