Early Bankroll

ThTomM

ThTomM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Everyone,

I am relatively new to online poker and would like to build up my bankroll. Only problem is that I don't really feel like depositing any money online. So I guess my questions are:

1.) What freerolls would you recommend? strategies would be nice too...
2.) Once I do cash in a freeroll what would be the quickest way to build up my bankroll? Would you suggest Ring Games or SNG's? maybe wait until I win more money in freerolls?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play as many freerolls as possible. set a goal to make off the freegames. say $30 Do not play for cash until you have reached that goal. then institute the Chris F bankroll management strategy. I however have no self control and horrible BRM so maybe you should hear some other people's advice also. good luck

frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and welcome to CC there is much to learn. enjoy.
There is an article on BRM in the beginner forum.

V

vegasvin27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well my guess is that you should stick to strategy,and there are sites that sponser you if you dont want to deposit any money into a site.
Sit and go's are good ,small buy ins,Dont play ring games easy to lose your money due to tilt.:)

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It kind of depends on what you're good at but I would avoid cash games at all costs early on. If you are good with MTT's, I would recommend playing some of the $1+.0 (no entry fee) tournaments as you're getting the most bang for your buck. I'm not sure about sit and go's but on full tilt, they take $.25 fee for $1 sit and go's which is a lot and may not be worth the investment.

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
definitely wait until you have a somewhat decent bankroll before you start playing with it. i've gone broke from that several times, and it's really difficult to get anywhere. if you want to give it a shot though, i'd say that sngs are the safer way to go, as they don't cost you as much, but ring games can make you more money faster but also can risk a lot of your bankroll. it's a tough call, but the more you have to start with, the easier it will be to stay alive.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing to focus on isn't where to play, but improving your game. Nothing against freerolls; I started with them myself and still play some every week. However, it's impossible to make much money from the open ones. If you don't believe this, check out how slowly Chris Ferguson started out when he tried to get to $10K from 0 on Full Tilt. And even in private rolls, if you're decent enough to make say $1 or $2 an hour, then you're decent enough that you'd almost certainly make more playing buyins.

chukky88

chukky88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how much money you won at freeroll. if you dont have at least 50$ my advice is to dont go to a cash table cous is very dangerous and you can lose all your money in 15 minutes. my advice is to play small MTT(max. buyin 5$) and small sng(max.5$).

sk8rfrmvicecity

sk8rfrmvicecity

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i won a bodog tourney awhile back and i blew half of it rushing into things . now i have doubled it and im taking things a bit slower and not rushing into alot of the tables that i think i can play . playing slow and chillin out has made me really look at my game .

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Register to fulltiltpoker, play these normal 100$freerolls and play tight.. And when you get hand, bet, raise, go all in with it. In evening, theres scandinavian freeroll, italy freeroll, german freeroll etc, there are less people in those freeroll than in normal, and its same prize pool. In scandinavian freeroll, theres like 1200players everyday in it, sometimes 1000 or less.

G

gadgetfiddler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done good at ps playing the freerolls. top 99 win a ticket to the weekly round 2 with a prize pool of $2000. I won a ticket, then made it to the money and won about $2. from there I played micro mtt's till I had $10, then went on to make $15 playing ring tables, just to go on tilt and lose it all at the ring tables.
eventually I just made a $25 deposit and i've been playing sng's and mtt's and staying away from the ring tables. I've more than doubled my br.

G

gadgetfiddler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yeah, the 10cent-$50added and the 25cent-$100added are the easiest micro mtt's to cash in. the 10cent 180 sngs are usually a waste.

C

chapstick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mtt's and sng's are the best way to build a bank roll. But really think a freeroll not worth playn. Hear me out ive placed in many of em. They take like 6 hrs to win and 1st gets something small. Why not deposit as u will be saving much more time. Play 5$ sng's until u have at least 25 buy ins then move up and so forth. Wish u luck.

I disagree. Most people who start out depositing lose, then reload! The freerolls are a perfect place to learn the game. Most donks are out by the first break anyway and that's where you're start to learn how to play poker correctly. Also, grinding into a bankroll should make you play better poker because you know how hard it is to make earn money without depositing.

J

James Godfrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play freerolls as much as possible, stay away from playing for real money until you have a decent bankroll, try out both ring games and tournaments and see whih suits you best. I prefer sit and go's as they are the more entertaining form of poker, however, many people prefer cash games, as, in the long term, they are prfitable if you are a good player.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play in private freeroll tournaments like (CC at UB or FTP). Get into some micro-limit games and consider reading and applying the article Chris Furgeson has at FTP. Just be patient and it will develop.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also ive been playing in the .25 no rake 90 man sit and gos on stars so there are places you can go on little bankrolls and not deplete them you can try a few of them and not be out much but you have to grind out a few freerolls to start a bankroll but after that there options.

N

Nikeballa07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for me when I was tring this method,I played private freerolls,like the great cardschat freerolls.
They tend to have far less people than public freerolls and usually pay a bit more as well.
If you happen to win one of these freerolls you would have say 30.00 to 40.00 in your bankroll.
How you invest it depends on what style playeryou are,ie,"if you are a cash game plaer or a tournement player".
I prefer to play single table sng's.
If you play the one or 2 dollars sng's your bankroll off of one freeroll win should be big enogh.

P

potman1250

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play all the freerolls you can even after you get your bankroll started. then play some sng's. there is a lot of info about this stuff here.

D

darkwiz666

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd set a goal first say $50 then once u have reached that amount,try MTT or SNG..also i would stay away from cash games just a suggestion..peace

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems the consensus here is to stay away from ring games until your bankroll can handle the huge down swings that may come from it. I've been building my bankroll through 1.00 and 3.00 SnGs on Pstars.

If you don't want to deposite money, you'll never be able to get money out... (keep that in mind). Stick around cardschat, they have freerolls all the time. They pay ~50$ for first place and the one on fulltilt pays 18 places on average.

Get to a bankroll of 25-30$ and you can start playing the 1.00 SnGs without much problem of a huge downswing. good luck

C

Chamaican666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say you were on Full Tilt (where I play), I love doing SnGs however, the lowest ones Full Tilt offers are 1$ with an added .25! (25% rake) which is unheard of! so if you started out I would keep away from the low SnGs until you have reached I would say somwhere near the 10$ + 1$ games.
Honestly, I would just completely avoid the low buyin SnGs at Full Tilt and just keep playing private free rolls until you have enough to buy in to a higher one (make sure you practice those SnGs a million times with play money so you get the jist of how to play them)

Good luck!

T

theoneyoulostto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not going to deposit, which I am the same way, that is fine, but it comes with its own set of rules. Think back to when you were a kid and you wanted a new bike, video game, skateboard, etc. and you were forced to save your allowance until you had enough to get it. Same way with freeroll money. Public ones usually don't pay too high, and if you immediately go and play with it, you're most likely to lose it.

I say save it up until you get to that predetermined amount, then start playing with good bankroll management.

M

marvinas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend 0+0,10$ 1k$ guaranteed FTP tournament, very nice payouts if you make to the money. I personally never rebuy, if lose - then lose, one rebuy costs as much as almost weeks entries, so why bother. Also lots of donks play there, so not too hard to get to the money too.

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a good way is to find sites that have double up or beginners sng's generally the top 5 in a 10 sng toury double up on their buyin I generally place in 2 out of 3 that I play in just takes a little patience something you will need to learn anyway ;)

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management