Dumbest Players/Moves

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the dumbest play I can think of is when some fool bets big on a broadway board with NO flush possibility. I.e., no matter what each player has in his/her hand, it's a draw.

In other words, by betting you are only increasing the rake you will pay when the other player(s) call you. So why in the hell would you bet in that situation? (This is cash, not tournament. There's 5% rake.)

In such a situation, I will tag the aggressor as a dummy, and if anyone folds, I tag that person as a supreme dummy.

The second dumbest situation I see is when there's a high FH possibility on the board, and some fool goes nuts with a flush.

I just had this 3way hand where I opened frm the btn with K9 suited and got called by both blinds. Flop's QhQTh. Checked all around.

Turn's another Q. Checked all around again.

The river is a 9h, and sb leads out with a min 10c bet. I was planning to call. Then BB raises it to $1.80 so I fold. Then SB goes all in and BB calls with 8h7h hahahaha and loses to quads (Q8).

I laughed so hard. Then I tagged and added notes on both.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the dumbest play I can think of is when some fool bets big on a broadway board with NO flush possibility. I.e., no matter what each player has in his/her hand, it's a draw.

I guess, the idea is, they are hoping, their opponent dont read the board correctly and fold. Or maybe lose their connection and time out. Without rake this would literally be a freeroll, and in a tournament I would do it. But I dought it will happen 5% of the time, so it is indeed pretty dumb to do it in a cash game. And also a bit of an asshole move, since it force the other player(s) to pay more rake as well.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends on the rake cap, also. If you are over the rake cap, it costs nothing to get all-in with a potential split. And you could make your opponent make a mistake.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on the rake cap, also. If you are over the rake cap, it costs nothing to get all-in with a potential split. And you could make your opponent make a mistake.

True. But that would mostly happen at stakes like 100NL or higher. At stakes lower than that it would be extremely rare to have reached the rake cap with significant money left behind.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I try n keep my pots low in those situations

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's another incredibly stupid play I just witnessed.

I had 44 on BB. Mid-position opened to 28c. Three callers including the btn and sb. I checked. You can see the flop in the attachment.

I led out with roughly a 70% pot bet into the wet board, btn and sb called. The turn's a pretty ugly one for me. I check. Check all around. River changes nothing for me so I check again, after SB checked.

BTN now throws out a 10c bet. SB min raises to 20c. I call it. Then BTN raises to 0.50 and SB raises to $1.50. At this pt I folded.

And these mofos kept raising incremental amounts until it finally went all in from SB. BTN calls and you see what's up.

Attachments

• stupidplay.jpg
    stupidplay.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No idea what that SB was thinking. Maybe he misread his hand or the board and thought, he had a K high flush or even a straight flush? Those things can happen, if people are 10 beers in. Sucks that his money went to someone else, but good for BTN I guess :)

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I make dumb moves in every tournament I play except the ones I win!

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if we talk about "dumb" moves then sometimes I can't really understand recreational players in 3bet pots when they hit a top set on dry board and they donk it!. It happens also in regular spots. And they don't donk it like 1bb, they just bet big.
I see it very often. Even from players with whom I play a lot. They just don't understand that by donking they don't get a value from my air which I would bet very often or hit something on later streets which is worse than their set. Most likely they get value only from my overpairs and strong TP, which is just a little part of my range.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember in this Big O game this guy goes “lol I have a full house” after I raised him. The board wasn’t paired. He thought he could play every card in his hand. He immediately left. lol…