Donk bets are OK if you're chip leader?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I was on the final table of a $5 tournament at Titan, there were six of us with around 6,000 chips each and one guy with about 6,500 chips, then a couple of people with about 2,000 chips each.

I raised pre-flop, then the person who was a marginal chip-leader bet into me after the flop, and after I took the hand down I said "nice donk bet". He replied "chip leader".

So does that mean that it's not a donk bet if you're a marginal chipleader, or have I misunderstood what a donk bet is?

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, you got it right. The guy was just an idiot. He probably has no clue what a donk bet is.

The name "Donk Bet" implies that donk betting is a bad thing. It's not always bad, like everything in poker there are situations where you would want to donk bet. Like being on a short handed table like you were. If the flop is pretty dry and looked like it missed the raisers range and you have a good idea your opponent will fold, donk betting with ATC isn't a bad idea.

It's the idiots playing ring in the micros where you raise 3x-4x and they call from the blinds, then donk out a min bet. Or they limp call your raise and then donk out a min bet. I have no clue what they are doing when they make that play. It's an automatic raise by me if I miss the flop, and 90% of the time they fold.

Last edited:
M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never chat like that, it really doesn't help any situation

BAsed on how close to the money etc, I like his bet but it's still a donkbet and donkbets are teh awesome