Donk bets

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When would you say would be the best opportunity to place a donk bet? Do you ever use this strategy in your game when you play?

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use donkbets when I'm in pot with big hands (set or better) vs multiple opponents . Sometimes I set the trap there too , depends on type of players I'm up agaisnt, but most of the time , I donkbet and try to take it right there . Ofc I'm talking here about cash games . In tourneys its a little different story , or if I have the nuts which can hardly been outdrawn , then its trappy time , almost always !

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never donk betting is the easiest strategy to come close to an unexploitable strategy. However, donk betting is sometimes better in situations where a card is very obviously better for the OOP capped range. Most commonly, low cards that complete a straight, or the board pairing on medium and low cards. Even then, defaulting to checking range is almost never a significant mistake and in that way just simplifies the game.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I try to play when I'm confident in my chances. I think that any strategy that is related to donkeys can not be profitable in the long run. :)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Check raise is the play for me , I don't like donk betting , why to do that? Give for free information whilst I am out of position?
Without being totally sure though I think we can donk bet some dynamic boards(boards they can change on turn/river - for example 8.9 high boards).I don't do that but I guess in theory is ok.

I only make the stop and go move where you donk shove when you are super short stacked and you are not sure if you must jam pre flop vs the open raiser. You go all in if you hit something or you have a good draw in order to deny equity from your opponent on the flop.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may want to donk bet when your range or perceived range in more likely to have hit on the flop than the preflop raiser. If you are in the big blind and call a min raise and the flop comes 6s 7s 8h and you think the raisers range is any Ace or a small pair then you can donk bet because its more likely for you to hit the flop than the raiser.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When would you say would be the best opportunity to place a donk bet? Do you ever use this strategy in your game when you play?

Thank you for posting.

A leading into the aggressor strategy is a learned skill that requires knowing what the Villains tendencies are. It is complex and requires a lot of study.

Do you use a HUD? If so then c-bet frequency by V will let you know if check raising or leading is best when you are trying to get value. As most V over c-bet the most common value action is check raising. Few V c-bet 100% of boards so we are missing value but not having a lead strategy.

Large SPR vs an aggressive V is also reason to lead not check. If we lead 40% pot for value and get raised 3x there is now 260% pot size and getting V to now stack commit may become easier on later streets. Where as if we check raise our hand looks much stronger and our V may not stack commit at all as our action polarizes our range more than our lead action.

Leading keeps in more potential floats by V then check raising does as well. We have to have a turn plan when we lead flop.

Hope this helps
:):)

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only use illogical big bets when I have a small stack or close to the chip leader.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use it, or very rarely. If everyone called before the flop, max 2 players, i use the Donk bet after the flop as a half-bluff, but rarely.
Donk bet for me is a weak bluff attempt, I always raise again

C

cornedbeef

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never donk bet i play my game straight up

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, this was thread has had a pretty good response so far. I can think of a good example where I might use a donk bet. Let's you are heads up and oop in the small blinds with any two cards against the big blinds. The BB has already checked the flop and the turn card is a brick. Since, he is already looking pretty weak I would place a bet oop to end the hand. This sort of move often works for me.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To make a donk bet means that the player does not have the power to make the right decision.

1Payou

1Payou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might when I'm in late position.The table folds around to me and its just me and the blinds playing the hand. While having a reasonable hand also with outs.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dependent on ranges and table image, to some it confuses the situation and is often very profitable.

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That depends on the villian, but usually it's to get them to think I'm bluffing when I have the nuts.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to lead out and donk bet with a made hand or good draw when my opponent doesn't have a high c-bet frequency, so I can start building the pot.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that donk bets do not provide an opportunity to collect enough information about the opponent, give the opponent the opportunity to place overbet, it is better to skip the bet so that there is an opportunity to catch the opponent on a bluff.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop I mostly use donk betting in multiway pots, where the preflop raiser is unlikely to C-bet with air, and where either the stack to pot ratio or my hand strenght is such, that there is no real benefit to a check-raise. On the turn and river I use donk bets, when the texture change. A simple and typical example would be, when the river complete a frontdoor flushdraw. In that situation people tend to check back even very strong non-flush hands, so if I want to get paid, a donk bet is often my best option. Of course this is a very obvious play, but if you notice, that people fold a lot to a river donk on a flushy board, then just start mixing in some bluffs.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If lots of chips go into the pot preflop, and you flop something decent that you simply can't fold if your opponents bet, then it is a very good spot to place a pot-committed donk bet.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't even know what it is. That's why I didn't use it, but if I had known, I probably wouldn't have used it.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, donk bet is a HU technique and should be used against adequate opponents or extremely straightforward ones. In other cases, you may not get what you expect.For example, against aggressive ones, I would donk bet with a hand that I am ready to 3bet the flop with.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even know what it is. That's why I didn't use it, but if I had known, I probably wouldn't have used it.

You were for sure using donk bets without knowing it, a donk bet is a postflop bet into a preflop raiser when you out of position. In poker we do a lot of things without being aware that they correspond some kind of concepts, but even if we do, it is still hard to do them properly.