Does position even matter

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Occasionally being out of position, (one of the first to act), can have advantages in a first to bet takes it scenario.
Stealing when similar or weak hands can't call, but it does of course have the danger of being caught out if there are stronger hands behind.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I never play too loose in MP1 and MP2 I will loosen up in MP3/HJ and CO but still play marginal hands in these positions, the button you can play 72o and sometimes get away with it, but it depends on the table imagine and your own. If you are seen to steal too much on the BTN then the blinds will start to defend more by raising you just to see if its another steal attempt. If you are sitting in the BB you can defend with low pairs and suited connectors you don't have to just defend with premiums, but just be aware that you will be first to act after the flop, then you need a good post flop play.

Premium hands you can play in either position of course.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having position means making other players have to act first. If they have to act first, they have to make decisions with less information than you will have. This not only helps you accumulate more chips (which is where a lot of players thinking stops), but it also helps you KEEP more chips by being able to make smart folds. This is why you can widen your range in position.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i hear a lot of try and play in position i understand why completely ,but when you get a hand it doesnt matter to the cards where you are , i often find myself trying to secure 2 cases i point , ive just been dealt aq in the sb , at the same time on another table qq in the sb , i raise with both , regardless of how the hand turns out im out of position but im still gonna play the hand right? so when people say try and be in position , you dont really get a choice with decent hands they come when they come , can anyone put me straight

Yes, you play the strong hand with the realization that you will be oop post-flop. It's common for players to add an extra BB to their standard raise from the SB to account for being oop on future streets. So after you decide how much to raise over limpers or the initial raiser, just add one more BB.

If you are opening from the SB (when it folds around), then 2 to 3x is fine although it's advisable to raise smaller as your stack gets below 30bb (maybe even 50bb). You don't want to make a habit of raise-folding 3x with <30BB for example, because you'll find yourself at an awkward stack-size pretty quickly as the blinds increase.

J

jackflash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i understand what the op means , i mean if you get good cards you will play them regardless of position , you cant choose position , people talk about it like ypou get the option of having position ,youve either have it or dont , if somebody calls or raises you , then your position is gone , i like having posiotion and i am aware of its value , but more often than not you havent got it and you cant simply throw away good cards because you dont have position ....or do you ?

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the only two cards i'd completely disregard position with is AA and KK, i'm not going to call QQ to a nit who 4bets me and has position. Position is everything.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is everything unless a freeroll, then donks rule as they have no respct for it or the table, well that's my opinion anyway.
Being only an mtt player at low stakes, I find too many people just wishing to gamble most likely because lack of patience.
But sometimes it's good to be a donk and let off steam hahaha.

BenjiHustle

BenjiHustle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People who are stating that position doesn't matter to them are people that you can disregard. Position is incredibly important all of the time. These people are giving you bad information and should probably think about changing their own opinions about positional play. Just play a hand like KQ from UTG and from the BU or CO positions in the same session and see how, even against the same opposition, things are different, especially with marginal hands with which your own post-flop decision making skills come into play more.

S

slicksam23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Truly understanding position will take your game to the next level I recommend studying position theres good youtube vids. Position took me from a ok player to consistently winning. If you play position right your cards almost don't matter.
MOST IMPORTANT
1 position
2 selection
3 agression

S

seebass74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
why is it online I don't see people using position at all. Live is a different story

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think having positions is important. When you have a big stack it means you can bully people.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is like AK

if you hit a pair you are happy

if not you only have A high, most people do not know that even a pair of 2s can beat AK coz its only A high

Position is the same as the blofs are not as good

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also if you are not in position you can bet the flop first and take all the pots when the people in position missed

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But when you are in position you can re-raise.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but they dont know what you have when you bet the flop and when you get raised in position you know they have to have something and you can trap them by calling

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also if you are not in position you can bet the flop first and take all the pots when the people in position missed

Yeah maybe weak players fold in position if they missed, i never trust a lead out unless board fits an opponents range just seems to fishy, i'll raise lead outs a good percentage of the time and have a good success rate whilst doing so.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But fi you are raising leads too often then it's exploitable DUCY?

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But fi you are raising leads too often then it's exploitable DUCY?

i pick my spots, it depends entirely on villain, board texture and pre-flop action. I play zoom aswell so i can get away with it more unless people are paying attention.

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion Position is the KEY in poker !!!

>>> you have premium hand ... >>> you have the opportunity to get your opponents all chips

>>> you have medium hand >>> just act on action of all players before you

>>> you have trash >>> you can still bluff them :)

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about 2 years ago, i asked myself the same question. I think during that time my game was evolving and i started to play more aggressive and my style/reads/strategy progressed where I i was controlling hands/pots I got into and taking them down a good amount of the time. What I learned is to understand why it matters and why i needed to play positions according to how to play properly. Maybe to new players it doesnt matter but to advance poker players, they can chip off your stack away if you dont understand the logic of position. Position can be played to how you want it, but also how you put it out as to a truth when it comes to the hand your in control of. so yes it matters, but it also matters how you use it.

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know does position lose some in zoom game instead of reg tables.... ? Someone enlight me?
I look that i am in position with most of my range,but with some cards i dont look at it....

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because some most people fold thru hands till they get premium and than play it from any position and because people shuffle every hand you can know what they have...

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position doesnt rly matter if you shove all-in every hand or play until the show down.
Playing in Position is mostly used for pot steal if you miss board. Players who can play good when in position are playing longer on poker tables :).

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position doesnt rly matter if you shove all-in every hand or play until the show down.

Playing in Position is mostly used for pot steal if you miss board.

Players who can play good when in position are playing longer on poker tables :).

You make more money shoving all in every hand in position than you do OOP though.

You get more value from your made hands when you are in position though.

wut