Which Do You Prefer AK or JJ?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the situation and what I expect to be up against. In general I slightly prefer JJ due to the all-in/heads-up odds.

Maiuchi

Maiuchi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question bro, the one who burns with milk sees a cow and cries Give me always better AK that if I do not play when the flop is discovered it will be easier for me to mold than the pair of JJ

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like jacks over AK but win with both about the same amount!

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is good hand because of high kicker when you play aginst for example AJ but i defenitely don't like play AK because of high risk that nothing match on table. I prefer JJ more likely you have a pair on the begining.​

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are great, they all go all in and I go 6 bets, and I always have good results.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK o JJ

Hola. definitivamente prefiero AK. eh perdido mas veces con JJ que con AK

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends about the scenario, but usually I have to say a pair is always better

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I prefer JJ all-in pre as it has a small percentage of advantage in equity over AK or AKs.

Both great hands though.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think iwould prefer the jj just because its easier to get away from if someone is betting hard.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on situation and my mood but I like to play with AK little more

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From personal experience I would choose AK. JJ is not that great post-flop especially if Q, K, or A show up. With AK you still can hit the highest pairs or get straight/flush (if suited).

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for my part JJ. With both cards, big money can be burned, be careful with both...

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically, both are premium starting hands. There is very little difference between the strengths of the two hands. I am sure everyone will answer Ak. I choose JJ.

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
Depends on the situation for sure, but i guess AK has a higher winrate

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ, because I want to have an advantage pre-flop, AK is also a good starting hand especially if it is suited, but I have noticed that in more situations which 2 cards have a little or more advantage pre-flop are winning the hand.

Last edited:
Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always have the impression that I will lose with JJ.
I believe that if I had a statistic, I must have lost the vast majority of hands with JJ.
So I prefer to have an AK because decisions are even easier.
My attitudes are totally different when I have AK or JJ.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always have the impression that I will lose with JJ.
I believe that if I had a statistic, I must have lost the vast majority of hands with JJ.
So I prefer to have an AK because decisions are even easier.
My attitudes are totally different when I have AK or JJ.

Same here lol ;)

This is a great forum thread question because I feel like my current preference is JJ, but I'm trying to favor AK lol. Statistically, AK is ever so slightly better overall - of course everything in poker seems to be situational or with exceptions.

Some things I consider here:

-Heads-up versus any two cards, AK is about 65%+ favorite but JJ is about 75%+ favorite versus any two cards.

-AKo vs JJ Heads-up slightly favors JJ
(according to the free Equilab calculator AdKh vs JsJc is 42.75%-57.25% so JJ is a slight favorite).

-However, AK seems to play better deeper stacked and has more outs when behind. JJ, when behind, is probably hoping to hit another Jack, but there are only 2 left out there - however there are 16 possible combinations of AK (4 combinations or AKs and 12 for AKo), so AK has way more outs to "catch up."

My thinking is mostly that the power of JJ is largely already having a pair, but the obvious villain holdings of AA, KK, QQ all crush JJ - which is partly why JJ loses so many pots. AK, on the other hand, is usually ahead if you pair one of the two hole cards (top pair, top kicker).

Phil Hellmuth's book "Play Poker Like The Pros" gives his preference slightly to AK over JJ. If the legendary poker player Phil Hellmuth slightly prefers AK and the statistics generally favor AK (even if just slightly), then I'd like to also favor AK. It is good to line up your preferences to what is statistically best...but as of now I think I favor JJ a smidge :D

Of course, I've won and lost many pots with both holdings ;)