christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Certainly not, because being the first to speak there is a greater chance that a limper will pay with Ax-type hands. Then in the post flop I can go bad.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Used in the right way it is an essential weapon in poker, if you do not know how to use it it could lead you to lose tournaments with ease.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you open from UTG with T9s or 98s as most books suggest ?
(9 players)
With a huge stack, bubble times when short players still in your table, and some pressure momments

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If the table dynamic is right then why not. Personally I think a lot of players are too wary of UTG raises, myself included, and you get way more folds, or maybe one of the blinds calls, in which case you actually do have position. If someone 3 bets, then just fold.

I don't like being toooo rigid in my play, and having too many exact ranges. Ranges should be a guide only.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Used in the right way it is an essential weapon in poker, if you do not know how to use it it could lead you to lose tournaments with ease.
Absolutely correct. It is essential to being unpredictable that one plays cards not usually associated with those played UTG. If I am in that situation I look at the second hand on my watch and determine from its position whether to play it or not. Many thanks to Dan Harrington for the idea of using the second hand as a decision making randomizer

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I include all pocket pairs in my preflop range UTG for the same reason of being unpredictable. I once got 3 bet by the HJ and my randomizer second hand said to call. I caught a set and the HJ flopped aces up 2 pair, I stacked him and when I showed a set of 3s my table image went from predictable TAG to a sneaky Ahat. I blew my image all to hell.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Never at a 9 player table UTG. I don't think tha is a winning move.

Be Well

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nope, also 98s is a weak hand especially from UTG