S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you open from UTG with T9s or 98s as most books suggest ?
(9 players)
Not often, T9s occasionally, 98s never. The charts I have seen generally dont open these hands either. I think for an occasional suited connector 76s or 65s are also options and better than 98s as they will usually be live and can cooler an A on a low board

Zaner

Zaner

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nop, t9s it's to weaky ,have 8 more player to speak,but depend if is a final table or if you have big stack

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Actually from UTG the manuals say that the opening should be 99+ some even suggest up to 1010+.
It really happens that there is a situation within an MTT that from UTG you can open with any situation in hand, for example inside a bubble or close to it, if you have a very large stack and once the players at your table are waiting the charge becomes accessible to do so.
Likewise, I generally do it either in a bubble or at another time in the MTT as the manuals say.
Cheers:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
from an early position, it's very scary to open this in 9 players, I would just reset it:LOL: :LOL:

F

Felecamo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GT
Chips
No, I would only do it in specific situations, for example, when I'm in a tournament and my rivals have few blind spots and we're in a prize bubble

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can open T9s - when I'm far ahead in chip amount)

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Maybe against weak players on 6-max.

It's usually a hand we want to play in position and with a good stack.
They are excellent to play in position against UTG's range for example than entering with A9, or Ax... etc...

PokerEdge

PokerEdge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
It depends on many things. If you are deep or if I have a lot of stacks, yes. If they have more short stacks, especially for the blind, then not.
It is important at which stage the competition is, icm ..... etc.
By default I 66+, QJo+, J10s+, A10o+, A2s+.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm hardly going to open with these cards, but there have already happened situations that I opened with those hands but that will depend on the villain

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Always depends on players on the table and my chip stack.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you open from UTG with T9s or 98s as most books suggest ?
(9 players)
I will limp them if the blinds are a trivial proportion of my stack as they have the potential to make the nuts and take an opponents entire stack. If they will take a big bite out of my stack then I will fold.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think it depends on many things, who I'm playing and how they play, chip stacks, tourney position, table image, yada, yada, yada...

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on the profile of the players at the table. If they're too tight, I'll open.

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't think of any scenario where I would choose to play this. Even if I had only 1 BB of chips, I would probably wait one hand for higher card(s).

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That range would be too wide for a lot of people UTG.

I'm guessing some will say middle to steal if there isn't any action and definitely from the blinds to see a cheap flop in a multi way pot but not UTG.

You're going to be putting too much in the middle if you're reraised preflop from UTG with that hand and will be out of position the entire hand IMO.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When i have a large stack, or in a nit table, sometimes this can happen

G

guardianfox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not. Extremely vulnerable position with no info about players who act after you. Youre asking to be raised