akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
With what effective range / stacks would I open for a 3-bet light (bluff)?

If I have understand the question correctly 30bbs is marginally ok to 3bet light against a loose opener. With 20-25bbs it would be better to 3bet shove because you don't have fold equity against a 4bet. In this case the deeper the stacks the better for you to 3bet light.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i like to bluff? LOL, it's such a funny question, actually. I never even thought about if i like it, but i know that i can't avoid it. You have to bluff a lot in poker, if you want winning. It's how poker works. So i can't imagine how it's possible to play without bluff at all.
You can cover in a term "Bluff" so many usual moves, every good player should do and know how and when to use them:

• positional steal open raise with a mediocre hand or connectors
  • continuation bets
  • semi-bluffs with a good drawing hand, trying to hide/representing as top pair instead
  • floating to take it down on turn, if opponent shows weakness
  • donking flop to prevent opponent's cont.bet or just setting better price for your draw hand
  • bluffing the river, cause you're pretty sure you don't have showdown value and that's the only way you can win
So, as you can see, "Bluff" can be so diverse, but if you try to avoid it, you be loosing most of the good spots, which make you money/chips. Of course to use those moves proper you need to training your skills in each of them. To bluff is more complicated, than many beginners think. You need to know how to put your opponent on proper range, you have to keep in mind what's your image at the table at the moment.*
*For example if your lately hands were AA, AK, 99, AJ and you were like ORaise, 3bet, ORaise, ORaise every single pre-flop before, no showdowns. I wouldn't take a weak hand after that and try to bluff with it, because people think you are just gone wild and try to stop you doing that by re-raising you or calling till the show down.

And another good thing about bluff, you always can add a fold equity in addition to your odds. For example, if you have a flush draw on flop and your opponent bets, you only have 20%, that you accomplish it on turn (counting only 9 flush outs), but if you bet first the situation changes and you could practically add % of your opponent's fold equity and chance that you take the pot without long battle. That's the beauty of bluff. Without it, you would be winning too few hands and will end up loosing money at the end of the day. However, need to be careful and not overusing it.

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general I try to think more in terms of equity and showdown value than straight value/bluff ratios. And in general I bet smaller when I'm going for value with a merged range that includes a lot of thinner value hands/ is more heavily weighted toward value. I bet bigger in spots where I'm more polarized between strong value hands and bluffs.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like to bluff, but without the bluff poker impossible. But bluff is part of the game that makes the game of poker more interesting. I think it's possible not to bluff in poker, but then maybe poker will not make a profit.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i can bluff quute well, but sometimes oponents read me like an open book :)

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its always on the situations. i bluff when i think i have a viable story which can be believed or if ive seen someone playing very conservatively and think i can push them out,.

Duraphig

Duraphig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall my bluffing needs a lot of work. I am getting better at value betting but my bluffing is lagging behind a bit. I find that if I really concentrate on my table and learn some payers tendencies I am get a decent bluff here and there against some people but I still need a lot of work in this area.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing well is an important skill. The times it sucks is when your opponent is holding the nuts and you misread the situation.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff gives poker the acuity of adrenaline sensations, while it's important to see the information you need and bluff against the other.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL great place to play tight poker...

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is part of the game. You just need to practice your reads so you will know when to bluff or when you are being bluffed. Sometimes you will get your read wrong but don't let it bother you and carry on.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pulling off a stone bluff in a really tough spot is one of the most exhilarating aspects of the game imo. Nervously waiting for the fold, and when it comes it feels good. I find without betting light , your game becomes too predictable, I tend to pick up on people that only bet/call when the got it and check/fold when they dont.

D

DillonRJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
BLuffing is fun... Exciting... makes my heart beat faster I wouldn't make a good live poker player xD. But yea, bluffing should be a tool for increasing your ROI.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know to bluff ?

bluff, it can makes you win , or lose and and really regret it , then start asking the question ( why did i do that ???) . But , Sometimes, if you re in a negative variant, u have to bluff so you can with some hands.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a matter of daring to sometimes bluff at the right time, if you get sighted, you'll have to analyze why they called, what kind of time did you raise?
To succeed in this game you have to dare.