Do you ever shove on a gut feeling?

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever get that feeling in your gut that says, "SHOVE ALL IN!"? i HAVE and i cant believe how often my gut is right. I stopped fighting it now, when i get the gut feeling i shove. No matter what hand what position or stack size.......Do you get that ???

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some games it's scary how in tune I am with the cards and knowing what the other player is holding. I just wish I knew how to turn it on when I need it most.

I find that I get "in the zone" more often when on SNG's for some reason.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I rely on my own skills and experience and want to win thanks to them. I wouldn't want to rely on my gut, liver, or stomach instead of my skills.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all players do if they have a read on a situation and what their opponent is doing. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts and make that big play. It may not always work, but it's certainly better to be the one applying the pressure rather than the one reacting to it.
Some games it's scary how in tune I am with the cards and knowing what the other player is holding. I just wish I knew how to turn it on when I need it most.

I find that I get "in the zone" more often when on SNG's for some reason.

Your game just might be suited for S&G's, which is great because while the prize money is less than big MTT's, if you are managing to be a profitable player, then you're growing your bankroll more steadily than an MTT player. The variance is much higher when trying to win large open field tournaments than a 6 or 9 player S&G where you have a 1 in 3 chance of cashing and making a profit.

But being able to identify what the other player has, it's such a great feeling for sure.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was younger I had very strong feelings like this. I was usually right where even if I was behind I would win the hand. It was quite strange. It doesn't really happen any more for me though. Not sure if it's my age or that luck just caught up with me.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone! I often get the feeling that in a given situation it is not necessary to play, but I do not always trust them and in vain, as recently as yesterday I played a freeway on pokerstars, the villain went all-in preflop, judging by the way he played, I suggested that he has a small pair at most, I have A ♠ ️K ♠ ️, I felt that I needed to fold, but I can't fold this hand, but in vain, the result I lost to the villain is 9.9, but I have no regrets, I counted my opponent , and losing is poker, one should get a ride from the distribution, otherwise it cannot be. Best regards, Sergei

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is likely based on more than just a "gut feeling". You have likely been observing how your opponents are playing and it feels right to do it.

If that is not true then you should start ignoring it because it could become very bad for your game. Anyone can run hot and get lucky for a while with bad decisions - but it won't last if those instincts are not based on insight.

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I recommend that you do not always get carried away by a hunch, analyze your opponents and your own game more and truthfully, you will not need the hunch.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it's a good feeling, with it you can achieve good poker success. You are lucky, develop, play and with experience you will achieve even greater success!

I had before, and now this feeling has greatly diminished, probably due to problems in real life.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rarely

I rarely shove on a gut feeling. But, I do shove sometimes if I think there is no way he or she can call.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'd like to play you.

If you're gut instincts are more right, than wrong, I would think that you're a better poker play than you think you are.

Your gut can't tell you what cards are coming up, nor when they're coming up. Cards are inanimate, and have to emotional ties to any gut.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ever get that feeling in your gut that says, "SHOVE ALL IN!"? i HAVE and i cant believe how often my gut is right. I stopped fighting it now, when i get the gut feeling i shove. No matter what hand what position or stack size.......Do you get that ???

Yup! I know the exact feeling and usually it is correct!

I just shoved K4s in an event just recently on that same feeling. Oh you thought it worked? Oh no lol - nah I busted right there, but the feeling is usually correct :D

Following that instinct is correct for me most of the time though - not just with shoves but also when to fold and other things too. Sometimes it is scary how accurate my "feeling" is: I've made hero calls, folded full house over full house and made bluffing moves successfully in pots I mathematically shouldn't have even been involved in!

It is a strange feeling that probably only poker players can relate with, but train that gut feeling because I tell ya it is correct most of the time!

p.s. It doesn't have to be viewed in the mystical realm of intuition and luck though - what is probably happening is simply your subconscious mind interpreting data that your conscious mind isn't. That is how you "just know" Villain is bluffing even though you don't know why. Perhaps some micro-tell got past your conscious observation, but your subconscious mind tuned in on it. Honing in on this "gut instinct" (whatever science may be behind it) is a great resource to have in poker :)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Once in a big live game I was shoved on when I was holding K/3 of clubs, as I was heads up on the Final table I thought about it and called, he turned over A/K off and I paired the 3 on the river, he just said "I cannot believe you called with that hand" I just replied "any two cards can win heads up, I just had a feeling I was going to win".
That was just a gut feeling it was the right call at the time to make, but sometimes we all get it wrong. Later on in the same game I raised pre-flop with A/K suited and he shoved all in again, I initially thought I should fold but it was getting late and I decided to call only to come up against Pocket Kings The flop came A/K/Q turn a 7 and the River 4. game over!
I should have following my instinct to fold, but to be honest if he had waited for the flop I would have still called his all-in, holding the top 2 pair. Wouldn't You?

When the fun Stops, STOP!

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I have a gut feeling and end up folding I get the card I wanted.

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to do a lot of that when I started playing poker, I'm not gonna say I never do this now but definately not normal in any sessions of mine unless I'm only playing for fun or something

There's a difference between experience and gut feeling though, some situations might repeat over and over again and you seen that so many times you know is a good thing to shove in a spot, but thats more normal with calling all ins and not going all in yourself

Overall, I'm not shoving just for the feeling my cards are going to win lol

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gut feeling is a perk which naturally comes to experienced and overall good players.

When you play your poker constantly and "faithfully" - all by your brain, without any "crutches" as HUD or buddy that tells you what to do while you play. Eventually you grow yourself the poker-neurons which starts to work without you even realizing what's going on, separately from your consciousness. And they gonna do it mostly right.

So for a rookie or tryhard who can't play without huds, charts, EV calculators - I would not recommend to rely on gut. Cos they simply don't have one... Yet.
GL:cool:

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NEVER do I shove on a gut feeling....sorry

I'm just not like that.

I like to look at my 2 cards and from my position play it out.

When it get's head to head there is a "Strategy" I'll never tell mine. It would be a great "subject matter" starting for sure.

Have a very enjoyable poker game,

Kind regards,

....thank you for listening! :)

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have that !!! but many times I end up not betting on wanting to do it right there in the end I end up seeing that I made a set or straight while a guy won with a pair of 3. hahauahau

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ONLY ULTRA INSTINCT FOR ME TY
2d0cfa6a723687c62375dd4d63ae0d07.png

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Ofcourse. Although I don't do this with any hand. I do this mostly with lower pairs, but other people did this to me with crap hands. For example I shoved with A K and got called with 2 6 suited and lost to a pair of deuces. I don't recommend doing this with any hand, but if you trust your gut that much, that's good.

F

fifille07

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80% of my play is based on gut feelings... My son-in-law, who teached me poker, is not happy when I do this. Shame on me!

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To this day...

Ofcourse. Although I don't do this with any hand. I do this mostly with lower pairs, but other people did this to me with crap hands. For example I shoved with A K and got called with 2 6 suited and lost to a pair of deuces. I don't recommend doing this with any hand, but if you trust your gut that much, that's good.

To this day i have yet to see my GUT FEELING, When it comes, be wrong. I fold aces online more than any player i guarantee that. Good reply though.