Do you bluff enough: too little, too much, just right?

nobodysf00l

nobodysf00l

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the time the success ratio of a bluff is determined by the timing and cards that are shown...previous encounters with a particular player, also.

N

Nick301274

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not bluff very much, there is no reception against scrap, so many players go all in with the opportunity to re-enter and therefore play only with good hands and when I see the flop, I risk going all-in only after the flop

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bluff very rarely, I play on the map. Only with a premium hand on a dry board, knowing that the opponent's hand is worse, I can put in a bluff

D

dempdem13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the game our playing. For 1/2 live for an example you want to play a TAG strategy and basically never bluff because theres to many calling stations and no one knows how to fold their top pair.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never bluff strait poker rules. so dont call if you see me.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm bluffing but in very rare cases when I can do it, I play more on a good map and I'm bluffing too little!

D

dpoole71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say dependa on the table if its a loose aggressive table ill wait for my hands but if its a tight table ill play more loose and aggressive

Vlad_Borokh

Vlad_Borokh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bluff very rarely. Sometimes it's very dangerous, because you can fly out of the tournament, or lose a lot of chips.

A

asalco94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I'm not bluffing, I do not do much, although lately I'm practicing it a bit, to make my game grow a little more.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I do Bluff once in a while, when I am in position and the hand is rigth to Bluff, so I will say I Bluff too little ! :playingba

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think sometimes i overbluff and sometimes i do the opposite, bluff rarely. It depends on the table i play on and the opponents or just how i feel the hand. I rarely bluff without a reason, though.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably don't bluff enough. If you are not losing some pots from bluffing you are not bluffing enough. You should still be winning more than losing (obviously) but you should probably be losing one or 2 every few hours or so and winning more than that. Every time you lose and show you better lay off bluffing for a while though. :)

E

ElRosado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First what is "Bluffing"?

Bluffing is when your action is not mathematically proportional to your perceived strength of your hand.

Second, the goal is always to get your opponent to believe the action and act accordingly.

So slow playing a strong hand is just as much a bluff as overplaying the value of your hand.

The saying goes "I only bluff when Im bluffing," seems like it is saying nothing. But in fact it is saying, the only time I am bluffing is when I get you to think I am bluffing. And the reality is that's where bluffing makes the big money.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You can't bluff too much and you can't be a serious opponent if you don't use that tool.
I am not talking about freeroll tournaments here.You can win a freeroll with no bluff at all just playing your cards and tight style!You have to know many factors here, opponent his betting tendencies and how often he follows with his mediocre hands for example[the list is bigger].

Good regular players know when and how many times to do it in order to be profitable. Take a look at Raise your edge or Upswing Poker in order to understand what I mean. There is free content on Youtube.

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, i bluff from time to time, tilt day or not )))
Sometime its too epic)

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Neither much bluff nor little bluff all depends on the right time like waiting for a tight player who gives up the cards easily.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff or no bluff?

Good question. To me, poker is in some ways like chess. There is no prescribed way of winning every time, nor when or what position or what hand or what bankroll or "who's your next door neighbor?". I believe it is a mix of these things, my immediate place in time.

I always hope my neighbor and their neighbor had to go to the BR at the same time when they are the BB and SB.

:dancing2:

Yonip17

Yonip17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bluffed most of the times but I just choose only who to be bluffed.

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well most of the time my bluffs dont work I mean i try lol

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like I tend to bluff to much. My reasoning is that I want to make poker the most fun game possible and playing tight is just to boring (but profitable and less roller coastery). I want to mix it up as much as possible, so i tend to bluff to much.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to these forums, been around CardChats on FB for about a year.

Bluffing should be done in the right spots, position, board texture, opponents position\range, etc.... but in general... players bluff too little.

Balance your game.

Lets say you have a spot where 1 time you have the nuts, and 2 you are bluffing.
Your range has those three in there.

Now here you are bluffing 2 times out of 3! that's a 66% bluff rate... crazy high right?

Lets say all three of the times they come up, we bet it out the same exact way.

If they call all three times, we break even, because we are gonna win with the nuts.
Now, if a bluff gets through, were are profitable.

In reality it is not as simple, but the same principals apply.

I like to really bet out my draws hard and sometimes they can be very bluffy.

Now put it back to the simple example of the bluffs... now if those bluffs decent draws to a winning hand... and we are bluffing... even if they call all three we are profitable, because some of those bluff's will win out due to the draw equity.

So again, everyone should look at their own game and ask "Am I really bluffing too much?"

I played a guy like this in a freeroll today. He made it to the top 10 out of 300, in part because the weaker players folded to his constant aggression and he picked up blinds and limped pots constantly, but also because better players couldn't tell when he had it because when people did try him, often he ended up with a real hand. Maddening to play against, compared to most of my opponents. Not as easy to play against. Which is what you want for your strategy.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On thinking on it further: too much online, because it's easy and I know no one can get a read on my face and no one knows who I am so that I won't feel stupid if it fails.

And not enough in real life, where I am afraid of looking foolish after being discovered. That's definitely a leak in my live game, a big one. After a few face card turns very few will call me. I still get callers for every hand so I haven't fixed it yet but I think I'm giving up value overall.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes I over bluffing in some spots and I need to fix ir

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing is not profitable. I use the semi-bluff, and use flash very rarely

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every time when i see that my opponents are hesitant i bluff.And bluff and bluff and win that delicious free pot money.When the player who is not willing to yield shows up on the table i simply quick eliminate him and then just continue to bluff others.