Do you believe other players when they bet?

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Hi 0546474. That's a good point. For me, if a player bets the min from UTG I think they don't have a good hand and wants to see the turn cheap, they have a good hand and hoping for a raise, or they don't know what they are doing. And as anyone knows, those players may go all the way to the river with nothing.

Hi CallmeFloopy. That's good to think about. I think if I do get back to playing, maybe I should believe them more. One thing we all know is the fact that it don't take long to find the weak players at the table. Playing MTTs is harder to spot them because from being moved a lot. That's my 2 cents. Oh and we all know you are a good player. LOL

Hi duck_uggs. Great reply. I posted about doing self talk at the table. And I would bet 100 to 1 that you do a lot of it. I do. And those are a lot to think about.

Re: limping pre-flop from UTG.
I think your conclusion will cover some of the scenarios, but it far from complete.
A min bet states that you are willing to see the flop on the cheap, yes, but it also means that they are currently IN THE POT and will continue to have an option to respond to downstream action. Rather than a weak position, it is a non-committal position, which can be very different.

There is a certain portion of the poker playing population who like to limp low pocket pairs from early position. They are often willing to pay more than 1BB to see a flop, but a 3-Bet on 1BB limp can be more palatable than a 3-Bet to 9BB (had they opened with a bet of 3BB)

Similarly, there is a certain portion of the poker players who like to limp AA and/or KK from UTG. The reasoning being you give the table an opportunity to go wild, whilst retaining the option to shove when the action comes back around to you. The danger here of course is that others with marginal/prospective hands might get pot committed and AA/KK into a multiway pot is feast or famine.

Whether a UTG limp is generally speculative and weak, or small pocket pair, or AA/KK is sufficient a difference in strength that you really need to be able to take player characteristics into account. Making the assumption that it is one or the other without additional intel is dangerous.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love it when my opponent bets, because I often go into distributions exclusively with a strong hand)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always ask yourself,,, "why are they betting that much?" most times a better will tell you if he wants you to continue,,, :cool:

Ragonesi

Ragonesi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on their position to the table and late in a tournament the notes I place on the remaining players,

You can read how a poker game goes and see if the opponent bet is just a mid pair, pocket pair, high pair, etc. As well how they bluff is diferrent you just have to get extra attention to how the table is going.

And remember, in poker position is KEY to any bet.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it really depends on there position and the informations i have on them and how they play , but sometimes your hand can be better

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to go by my maps. And believe or disbelieve a player depending on his handing history

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Sometimes I try to gauge what someone may be holding, but the strength of my hand is more important to me that what someone else may be holding.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, we're talking about a post-flop game.
Come on:

A low pair is still mathematically stronger than any hand that doesn't have a pocket pair. But if you didn't find a hand of 3 on the flop, it's too risky to call villain's bet. However, if no high cards came on the flop, he may just be bluffing to try and grab the pot. If calling isn't going to compromise your pot too much, it's worth the risk as the other '6' could be there on the river waiting to reveal itself to you. It's happened to me. But I flashed and soon after I saw the third card on the river....
Of course, the opposite has also happened and I preserved my stack.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to question not only the actions of opponents, but also your own actions, especially with regard to opponents against whom there is no data.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to watch how this player wins back what statistics he has and based on this we make decisions situations are different so we always play based on the actions of the opponent

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to question not only the actions of opponents, but also your own actions, especially with regard to opponents against whom there is no data.

Awesome answer! It is very important to evaluate the opponent's actions not against the whole table, but against you in particular!

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It all depends on how the opponent reacts, whether it is aggressive or a submarine, and here you must be very careful, in addition to what you have in your hand, your position on the table and what the flop showed, and if you did not touch anything on the flop, try to slow down your reaction to lure him to see the turn and the river.
Good luck

U

unadonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What, not believe a poker player - blasphey!

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when I think my opponent has nothing and is bluffing, I lose most of the pot. :D

Ilgiz

Ilgiz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not always. During the game, you notice who is bluffing and who is playing good cards.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a multiway pot and one of the first players to act bets, he probably has something. If all you got is 66 and there are three overcards, just fold. If he's weak you can try to float him and see what he does on the turn. If he checks you can try to steal.

But in general, I would fold and wait for a better spot to get my chips in.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a multiway pot and one of the first players to act bets, he probably has something. If all you got is 66 and there are three overcards, just fold. If he's weak you can try to float him and see what he does on the turn. If he checks you can try to steal.

But in general, I would fold and wait for a better spot to get my chips in.

In a multi-way pot, it's not my job to keep them honest. With 3 overcards someone has a better hand so fold.

Also if the bet gets respect and all fold, maybe I can do it next hand! :)

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the context of the bet and the board if the bet is consistent with the range of hands that the opponent may have to get right

001Jaguar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s all about stack if there is a big stack and someone raising low I always call and see the end but if there is a lot of stack and with all in I start thinking even bluffs but usually fold it

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Sometimes you do from their style of play. You feel when the other player is bluffing or not.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is based on lying. Every time you bet, you are telling your opponent that your hand is better. Usually, it's a lie. You want your opponent to fold, so that you can take the pot.

Every time your opponent bets, it's a lie.

So, that's where note taking comes in. Never believe your opponent.....believe your notes.

If you keep notes, you can, hopefully, avoid a game of chicken. (because that's what it is.)

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only take note of me . I try anyway . Unless I’ve been at the same table same players long enough then you can gauge

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
depends on how they are betting, but normally when I have a good hand and someone is being more aggressive than me then I believe them