Do freerolls and microstakes really teach you about poker?

B

bigbigbucs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from .9 cents to over sixty bucs in a weekend

Well freerolls are a great way to learn. I have been grindinding so many now just short of a year. This past weekend I started with a mere .9cents in my account and managed to build it up to over 60bucs. It all started with a smal 3rd place itm in a privte fr. Then I switched over to some small sng sttys. double up and played some one table sng won five itms in a row. Best was a 54.00 1st place. Freerolls if you play your best and do not sway, will defintly give you the paitience that can help in a smaller field of players I think. Oh and btw the sng's I played were turbo and super turbo 9 player. So after fighting with some 7500 2700 300 or larger fr one table seems quite refreshing.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Some great advice, particularly swingro, the big FRs are tough I've won 4 but they take hours.Cardschat freerolls are great.I have a $275 bank from zero over a year did it sng h2h and FRs.Also played razz and stud h/l.

Try to average a dollar per day.

At the I'm tilting so sitting out any money games will try and qualify the 5 FTP a day offer starting soon, easy money for folding in rush.

Found rush and ring cash variance too tough.

TheUndesirable

TheUndesirable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is difficult to learn a great deal of strategy from freerolls and microstakes but you can learn things such as patience a develop an understanding of certain 'types' of player so when you come across these donk types in the future you will be more well adapted to play against them.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Keep it Free and you don't have to worry about losing nothing but your time. I agree with the posts that point out that private freerolls like cardschat has much better play than public freerolls. Private freerolls would be best to get some practice.

And you know this ^ because you've played in so many of the Cardschat Freerolls?

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I forgot to mention a fun one - Full Tilt Rush freeroll @ 10:40pm cst. Goes really fast, is super fun, and probably has more to do with bingo than poker. You won't learn anything from it, but wtf, always makes me laugh.

Last edited:
TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Freerolls: No. They teach you nothing but how to use the softwere interface.

Micro's: A bit better than freerolls at the lower end, but getting better near the top end. Playing micro's will help you home the basics of postional play, bet sizing, and to a (possibly far) lesser extent, bluffing.

Anyone who tells you differently has wasted alot of thier lives in freerolls and is now trying to justify it. And for the record, I wasted three years playing freerolls before I finally deposited. Poker is a bitch when you're working off $20 in freeroll winnings.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So am I back playing freerolls after a very looooooooong, loooooooong vacation. One aspect of the game I have been working on through freerolls is indentifying players that will be willing to pay off monster hands.

We all know that building a huge stack is essential in large field tournaments. When I go to a table I am looking for the sucker that is going to call an all-in bet. Or someone I can value bet until all the money ends up in the middle of the table.

So players will pay you off, some players are going to fold. The trick is to find out which players will be willing to pay you off. That takes some practice in observation and patience.

So there are a few aspects you can learn in freerolls. Just like everything else in life, you get out of it--what you put into it.

sheesho

sheesho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take nothin from freeroll startegy. Too many donks. Micro stake games can teach you good values. Just have a good bankroll to play it

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Youy can learn enough to help to beat that level. So if you were only ever going to play Freerolls you would want to learn what it takes to win freerolls.

Taking tips on how to win a 100$ buyin is not going to be the same as what you will apply at the free or micro level games.

Freeroll Passwords