Difficult to play from UTG

jaoDuraes

jaoDuraes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hi everyone at CardsChat, thank you for having me so welcome, I wanted to know about the existence of this forum before, I have several doubts and that classic dream of being profitable with poker...

What is the smallest straight you open from UTG?

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on the texture of the table, your opponents, etc. If you feel the table are too agreesive you may straight up your range cards from UTG, also, if you see there is too much agressive players after you will be necessary rethink twice before opening a hand on this position.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends on the numbers of players at the table, how agressive the opponents are and your stack. The common rule is playing with stronger hands, like 99+ AJ+. But it's important that you vary your game from time to time so that it doesn't become too predictable for your opponents.

c.heck

c.heck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
NO
Chips
The first to bluff usually wins the pot. The first to speak therefore has the opportunity to be the first to bluff. UTG is not that difficult to play from.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi everyone at CardsChat, thank you for having me so welcome, I wanted to know about the existence of this forum before, I have several doubts and that classic dream of being profitable with poker...

What is the smallest straight you open from UTG?
Hey jaoDuraes! Welcome to the forum!!
I am not sure what you mean by "smallest straight". Do you mean "suited connectors" like K♠Q♠ or J♦10♦?
If it is, you can use a starting hands chart as a reference. They will suggest good hands to play with.

But for instance, when you and most people in the table have big stacks, like 40 BB or more, you should raise not only with the stronger hands, but also you can mix with good medium hands with a lot of potential, like T9s, 98s, etc.
This has 2 main benefits:
1. It will be more difficult for your opponents to know exactly what you have. If you only raise your stronger hands, why should they call you with weaker hands? They can just wait for great hand and fold when you are betting.
2. Your hand still has a lot of potential. When you hit a straight or a flush, or even two pair, you will be paid a lot, and because the first reason, they will not expect that you have this hand.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of the table and my opponents, but usually only strong hands.