Deepstacked KK UTG

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its great to get cards like KK in the blinds or on the button as hopefully others have gone in first and then you can raise again.

But if you are deep stacked and under the gun and get these cards then how best to play them.

I tend to do a 3xBB or 4xBB raise but the problem is that then almost all other players fold and you don't get any value from the cards. Limping allows others to act and then maybe you can 3-bet if someone else raises, or it allows the possibility a raggy ace limps in too and hits on the flop. Or the blinds hit two pair, or something similar.

Would a limp or a min-raise be better?

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better to be not called at all and take blinds, than called by 3-4 players (if that happens, you would never win :) ). No limps, no 4x, no open shoves, just bet your usual amount.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Its great to get cards like KK in the blinds or on the button as hopefully others have gone in first and then you can raise again.

But if you are deep stacked and under the gun and get these cards then how best to play them.

I tend to do a 3xBB or 4xBB raise but the problem is that then almost all other players fold and you don't get any value from the cards. Limping allows others to act and then maybe you can 3-bet if someone else raises, or it allows the possibility a raggy ace limps in too and hits on the flop. Or the blinds hit two pair, or something similar.

Would a limp or a min-raise be better?

You should be opening to the same size regardless of the strength of your hand. Deepstacked (75+ bb), you should be raising between 2.75 and 3.5bb with your whole opening range. If you start raising larger with Aces and Kings and limping with your really speculative hands, players paying any kind of attention will pick up on this very quickly and be able to exploit you.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be opening to the same size regardless of the strength of your hand. Deepstacked (75+ bb), you should be raising between 2.75 and 3.5bb with your whole opening range. If you start raising larger with Aces and Kings and limping with your really speculative hands, players paying any kind of attention will pick up on this very quickly and be able to exploit you.
So are you saying to always raise when you bet? Never limp?

So its either raise or fold?

I don't see many players raising every hand they play.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still open-raise the same sizing and if everyone folds, then at least we were not outdrawn :D

How often is everyone folding though? If "too often" then maybe your raising size is too big for the table's liking, or perhaps you are playing too tight? If you fold 20 hands in a row and then get KK, open-raise and they all fold...Is there any reason to question why they thought you had a premium hand?

This is just hypothetical though; more likely is that you aren't this super tight/nitty and it just feels like everyone folds when you have KK often.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So are you saying to always raise when you bet? Never limp?

So its either raise or fold?

I don't see many players raising every hand they play.

Pretty much, yeah. If I'm the first one into the pot, I am raising almost every time.

There are of course situations where you want to limp to exploit a specific opponent, but as a general rule, I am raising.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much, yeah. If I'm the first one into the pot, I am raising almost every time.

There are of course situations where you want to limp to exploit a specific opponent, but as a general rule, I am raising.
Thanks and that only applies if you're opening the betting?

If someone else has already bet ahead of you then you can limp behind them even if they limped or raised? Rather than raising or 3-betting?

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks and that only applies if you're opening the betting?

If someone else has already bet ahead of you then you can limp behind them even if they limped or raised? Rather than raising or 3-betting?
Exactly. There are lots of spots where I would call an opening raise or limp behind.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends

Deep Stack with many opponent (more than 1K players):
Raises to 4,5 - 9, aiming to be 3-bet then 4-betting in order to shove all-in.

Less than it(1K Players): raise to my regular raise size (2BB) and play like Pocket Queens.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will probably do the usual augmentation, there is no reason for a differentiated augmentation.