Deciding which hand to play.

El Munieco

El Munieco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I always find myself having trouble picking, which had to play when it’s not that obvious and nine out of 10 the hand I pick is not good and the one that I decide to not use it turns out to be one of the best hands.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Your range depends on the other players' range - but pre-flop you can start by studying GTO-charts and then adjust your play after how much your opponents deviate from optimal play.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play the easier you can find a rhythm. In the end there is no real answer as the decks come out so randomly.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I always find myself having trouble picking, which had to play when it’s not that obvious and nine out of 10 the hand I pick is not good and the one that I decide to not use it turns out to be one of the best hands.
Have a look at some preflop charts. (y)

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
The way you wrote it I'd assume you're not extremely experienced in poker (just assuming here of course) so I'd suggest you to do some starter course in poker first, this page also has one. After that look at some pre-flop charts and ranges. Only after than you can play up to the competition and incorporate their range into your play. It comes with practice and experience.

To simply put it, yes you will fold many hands that would be nuts once the other cards drop, but that doesn't mean you made a bad play by folding those cards before flop. More often than not, cards like for example 74o won't hit anything and you're just wasting your money by playing them. At the same time hand like AKs might not hit a lot of times, but even if it doesn't it could still be way ahead and you'll have easy time betting with it even post flop.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best thing to do is to play with a hand that will win at showdown

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you should take a card chart course in poker in order to understand which hand is better to play with and which to discard and in which situations. And then you will begin to understand more or less your ranges

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands