Could someone help or guide me on how to start studying poker?

Fernando_RO

Fernando_RO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Hello, I have been playing online poker for just under 6 months, and basically it has turned out to study and learn how to play poker, I don't have a clear idea of how to do it and I'm a little lost. My study is based on watching videos, but I feel that that hasn't led me anywhere, I'm not yet a winner and I haven't managed to get out of microlimits, I see that some people use solver, but for the moment I don't know how to use one and I don't have the money to pay for a subscription to one or to pay for a poker school. Are there any recommendations you can make to me to improve my game and my knowledge of poker and not die trying.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hello, I have been playing online poker for just under 6 months, and basically it has turned out to study and learn how to play poker, I don't have a clear idea of how to do it and I'm a little lost. My study is based on watching videos, but I feel that that hasn't led me anywhere, I'm not yet a winner and I haven't managed to get out of microlimits, I see that some people use solver, but for the moment I don't know how to use one and I don't have the money to pay for a subscription to one or to pay for a poker school. Are there any recommendations you can make to me to improve my game and my knowledge of poker and not die trying.
Practice in the freerolls here is a great way . I know for now you can only play Bronze Level freerolls but that changes when you achieve silver and later on platinum .

Reading about tournament strategies and hand analysis on our forum is also a great way to increase your knowledge :)

Fernando_RO

Fernando_RO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Practice in the freerolls here is a great way . I know for now you can only play Bronze Level freerolls but that changes when you achieve silver and later on platinum .

Reading about tournament strategies and hand analysis on our forum is also a great way to increase your knowledge :)
Voy a intentar buscar contenido en el foro, y a preparme mejor, espero poder encontrar buen contenido y aprender un poco más.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have reached the right place, here at Cardschat, we have a full course of thirty days, with enough theory and videos, in addition to friends on the forum to answer your questions

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good afternoon, my friend, for you who are starting out and want to evolve, the easiest and fastest way is to join a team, there you will have the experience of living with people who have already gone through what you are going through now, and it will be well instructing you to have more added knowledge in your game and thus evolving every day, but all of this will only depend on you! Because it's no use having access to the best content and great instructors if you don't really commit to learning and evolving. Good luck on your journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello Fernando! Here is Fernando too... rsrsrs. I think that the first contact for study poker is through poker range charts. There are a lot of them on the internet, so you can get a lot of them for free. Below I am showing an example:

25-Percent-Range.jpg

You can search on Google "Open raise chart", so will appear a lot of them, for 9 players at a table, 6 max, from dealer button, from UTG, highstacked, shortacked... But right here, in CardsChat there are a lot of lessons for begginers, so you will be able to find yourself in the game. CardsChat Training Course
Go there and evolve! Have good a study, good games, wisdom and peace!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To begin with the learning thread is full of information and ideas about poker:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/

Second, the 30 days poker course for beginners is awesome:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/cardschat-training-course-455641/
The strategy threads about both cash and tournaments:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/

And finally the Cardschat’s Podcast:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/cardschat-podcast-new-episodes-every-week-461655/

There is plenty of knowledge and information, check out for yourself, and in the case if you have any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask!

As @G0930 said playing freerolls is a very nice idea! Keep participating here and achieve Platinum Level, so you can participate in freerolls everyday.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

It's hard to give you a direct & specific response without knowing where you are currently at with your game of poker (are you just beginning the journey?.. do you want to play tournament poker?... cash game?, etc. etc.)
These days it is easy to become overwhelmed by the vast amount of resources/info./videos/ etc. available online. Where do I start?????
It is also easy to 'spin your wheels' (spend time much less constructively if you knew were to begin... and where to try to go to from there).

With a bit more information, I could try to give you a better answer.

You might want to take a look at Cardschat's 30-day course! The authors are great and it has excellent reviews!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

This is one of the books I always recommended to new players! (usually was the 1st one I'd suggest they read)

Followed by:
Harrington On Hold'em - Tournament series Vol.1 & Vol.2 by Dan Harrington
Sit 'n Go Strategy: Expert Advice for Beating One-Table Poker Tournaments by Collin Moshman

These books gave players a basic foundation to work from. You can probably obtain them from a local library these days (or from my storage unit, lol)

Collin Moshman is the author of Cardschat's 30-day course which can be found here>

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good afternoon, my friend, for you who are starting out and want to evolve, the easiest and fastest way is to join a team, there you will have the experience of living with people who have already gone through what you are going through now, and it will be well instructing you to have more added knowledge in your game and thus evolving every day, but all of this will only depend on you! Because it's no use having access to the best content and great instructors if you don't really commit to learning and evolving. Good luck on your journey.
We would love if you kindly check out the rules of the forum mate! It is the second time that I spot you making propaganda here, and we want a clean environment.
Cardschat is full of material to recommend, so thanks for your understanding and collaboration.

It follows the link for the forum rules just in case of any further doubts:

Best regards

Artemloshara

Artemloshara

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You can try to learn from videos and advice from friends, that's how I learned)

Fernando_RO

Fernando_RO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
It's hard to give you a direct & specific response without knowing where you are currently at with your game of poker (are you just beginning the journey?.. do you want to play tournament poker?... cash game?, etc. etc.)
These days it is easy to become overwhelmed by the vast amount of resources/info./videos/ etc. available online. Where do I start?????
It is also easy to 'spin your wheels' (spend time much less constructively if you knew were to begin... and where to try to go to from there).

With a bit more information, I could try to give you a better answer.

You might want to take a look at Cardschat's 30-day course! The authors are great and it has excellent reviews!
I want to focus especially on cash games and a little bit on spin and go, for time reasons, as playing a tournament can sometimes take too many hours. And thank you very much for the information.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
We would love if you kindly check out the rules of the forum mate! It is the second time that I spot you making propaganda here, and we want a clean environment.
Cardschat is full of material to recommend, so thanks for your understanding and collaboration.

It follows the link for the forum rules just in case of any further doubts:

Best regards
I can't see how amonlima's response is propaganda? :unsure:

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I can't see how amonlima's response is propaganda? :unsure:
Administrators had edited its post mate. There was a direct link to an Instagram account. Thanks!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I want to focus especially on cash games and a little bit on spin and go, for time reasons, as playing a tournament can sometimes take too many hours. And thank you very much for the information.
If you're just starting out, I'd suggest beginning at the very lowest stakes (1c/2c blinds, where you bring in $2 to the table which is 100 big blinds).

The best material to check out is the stuff by BlackRain79 This guy played MILLIONS of hands in the micro limits and has also written a couple of books for playing the micro limits. He is also here on the Cardschat forum but I'm not sure if he's been active recently.

Maybe try checking out some of his material on YouTube. Look up BlakRain79Poker (on YouTube)

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Start playing, visit and read poker forums.

Watch videos of winning youtubers.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
follow how to interfere in the big Ps tournaments on youtube the announcers are similar to the online players and they are always saying the best move to make, online poker boils down to that, so relax, you don't want to get too far away from it; To keep up with the best players you can watch 'The Big Game' series on the pokerstars YouTube channel.
Have a bankroll to stay in the game with a chance to grab the prize; so don't miss your entry and always important

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were better off learning during the poker boom than today. Everyone is trying to sell you something or get you to click on something so "you can become a winning player and make a sizeable income" like all the folks you see playing on youtube and on TV. LOL,

Just try to learn the rules, read a board and enjoy yourself.