Controlling the Bet

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I'm back to playing some freerolls online; mostly at ACR. I started out trying to play a solid game based on opening hands and position, but wasn't getting the results I wanted. I found that it almost seems more important to control the betting more than anything.

I'm not advocating playing like a maniac at all, but... it seems I get the best results with even marginal hands if I bet heavy to steal the blinds, and then bet heavy post-flop. I'm getting more frequent two pairs, straights, flushes, and even more frequent full houses.

Maybe it's just that I'm exploiting the hesitation other players have. But If I open, or if action is weak to me, I'll bet 75% of the pot. Many players simply fold.

This also gives me a table presence of being loose; at showdown I've won with some crazy opening hands, which is good because when I do have a premium hand other players assume I have nothing.

It's important to note that post-flop, if I'm beaten, I'll fold. There's still a need to recognize when it's time to let the hand go. But overall, I'm kind of shocked I'm playing better this way rather than following a set of rules as to which hands I'll play when opening.

Any thoughts on this? If any of you have found something similar in the game, I'd love to read about it.