Continuation Bets?

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read somewhere that C-bets used to be considered almost mandatory among the pros unless the board was scary, but it was so common to just C-bet that players began to exploit it. Now they mix it up as other posters have advised...but it is still the best play in general. Lots of exceptions and multitudes of situations in poker.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look at the c-bet as good follow through. You must use it, but not always, or you will become too predictable.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one of my big leaks in my tournament game is C-betting too much. If I raise preflop and see a flop with 1-2 players I'll C-bet almost 100% of the time. It's a habit that's extremely hard for me to break.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one of my big leaks in my tournament game is C-betting too much. If I raise preflop and see a flop with 1-2 players I'll C-bet almost 100% of the time. It's a habit that's extremely hard for me to break.

You should be rarely c-betting into multipl opponents.

For example if each player folds 40% of the time, the 2 players combined fold 0.4^2= 0.16 or 16% of the time.

A c-bet must work x/(x+y) % of the time to show an auto profit.

x being the size of the bet and y the size of the pot before the bet.

The smallest usual c-bet is 1/2 pot so 0.5/(0.5+1) = 0.33 or 33%

so against a single player who folds 40 % of the time a 1/2 pot c-bet shows a profit because it needs to work only 33% of the time.

However against 2 opponents with 40% fold rates their combined fold rate is 16% which is less than the 33% needed to show an auto profit.

Therefore you cannot bet into multiple opponents on just any flop with the plan of giving up if they call as it simply wont work often enough.

Hopefully that explaination will help you break this bad habit.

I

IrishTiger21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have actually grown to love continuation bets especially in tournaments. Ive found that people are more likely to call a continuation bet in cash games for the most part. But in tournaments its an excellent way to figure out if anyone has hit. One formula ive found in tournaments is to raise 3 or 4 times the blind pre-flop then continue betting even if you didnt hit. This also works a lot when you get closer and closer to the bubble because most people want to be in the money. these are just a few things ive picked up, even though i am still very much the rookie poker player

T

Tomothyboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I dislike continuation bets.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally, I dislike continuation bets.

Curious.... what is it that you don't like about them? What do you use for an alternative (check/raise.... check/call .... check/fold.. or just get it allin or fold preflop)??