Check to the raiser?

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see both sides of this coin. Checking allows you to get more information, but the raiser is usually going to cbet the flop whether he hit the flop or not. Thinking you have the best hand but facing a bet is a tough spot to be in. What do y’all think?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can see both sides of this coin. Checking allows you to get more information, but the raiser is usually going to cbet the flop whether he hit the flop or not. Thinking you have the best hand but facing a bet is a tough spot to be in. What do y’all think?
Part of the reason we usually check to the preflop aggressor is because it's generally better to see what they do before acting ourselves.

Position is very important which is why we can play wider ranges from stronger positions. It is also why some player 'check in the dark' before the flop runs out, because they (kind of) switch the dynamic and force the player(s) after them to act first (but of course surrender their action on the street if opponents check behind).

If we have a hand or draw we want to continue with, it's normally less problematic/cheaper floating the aggressor's C-bet than it is calling their re-raise because we opened with a donk bet on the flop. Also the aggressor can check behind, giving us the turn for free.

One of the interesting (and difficult) aspects of poker (and life) is that there are no omnipresent circumstances or conditions which are applicable to all situations (asides for rules and etiquette of course). For example, we never say things like 'you always check to the preflop aggressor'.

In situations where you make a hand on the flop, or have vulnerable holdings but believe them to be ahead of your opponent's range, you may well very well want to bet or check-raise the flop to protect your hand and/or take the pot down then and there.

Ultimately, I think the best way for you to think about these situations on the flop will be through ranges. What is the flop texture like for their range and our range? Using that as an indicator for how to proceed will probably yield the optimal results.

Regards,

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We think it's poker, there are always tough spots to be in

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The preflop raise is often with a cbet even after the flop. It is important to know what kind of player your opponent is in order to continue playing with anything. If you’re loose aggressive you might want to keep playing, but if you’re tight with nothing it makes no sense to go any further.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reason, why we should usually check to the preflop raiser, is because, they will often have a range advantage. If for instance we defend with KT and see a KJ3 flop, the preflop raiser will have AA, KK, JJ, AK, KQ and KJ in their range, and if we lead into that, we might end up getting raised and lose a very big pot.

Moreover if we lead here with top pair, that means, that when we check, we never have anything better than second pair or a draw, and that allow the opponent to profitably turn almost any hand into a bluff. So we need to check even some strong hands to protect our checking range.

Admittedly its up for debate, how much we will get exploited in micro stakes games, because many opponents dont pay attention to, what we do, or understand how to exploit us. The player pool is also very large, so maybe we will never see them again. But this is the theory behind checking to the preflop raiser, which its nice to at least understand.

There are some situations though, where we are "allowed" to have a leading range. That is mainly the situation, when the opponent made a small raise from early position, and we defended our big blind and see a flop with only low cards like 663 or 875, because on these boards we can have more nutted hands than them.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you’ve hit the flop, checking to the raiser allows you to check raise if you think he will cbet. If you’ve completely missed the flop, you can fold without wasting chips. If you’ve picked up a draw or say second pair, you hope he checks back or if he bets you can call without worrying about a raise. Betting out on the flop is ok if you are short and are planning to get all your chips in anyways but don’t have a monster hand , then you are hoping for a fold.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it is better to check a loose player with a narrower range! Since even his continued bet will not always mean a strong hand!

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often do it if I do have a real chance of winning. However, the raisers often have dumb luck, so it's better to be careful.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. On a junk Flop, a person with a VPIP of 40%, having a large range, becomes dangerous. Give me a pair of aces or kings, and I usually become the victim to that. Not sure if it's dumb luck, crazy maniac gets lucky or just me. Probably me.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it is always a very difficult situation, it is not easy to read the game.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Really tough, when I check the raiser I just call the cbet if I hit something.

D

deadguy2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a perfect world check to the raiser. In poker its all situational. It's hard to make that call unless I am in a hand.