Caution or aggression? How to behave at different stages of the MTT tournament?

Delafere

Delafere

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
It is generally accepted to be cautious in the beginning. Closer to money, usually everyone is tight, so it is more profitable to behave more aggressively. What is your strategy?

M

mcbeaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The strategy of taking advantage of the passivity of others close to the bubble is familiar to most players. And yet many don't stick to it because they would rather cash out. Of course, ICM has a sometimes tremendous value in such situations. But just getting into the money often eats up the stack and denies you the chance to make a deep run. In the long run, many players leave a lot of value here for short-term cash. Of course, this does not apply to professionals. This behavior becomes much rarer with higher buy ins.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If the chip leader, then you need to put pressure on everyone, but be careful if the opponent reraises all-in.

And if the stack is short, then you need to play according to the push or fold strategy, taking into account icm

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that the ideal is to analyze your opponents every hand, adapt your game to them and try to exploit them as much as possible, vpip profitably, always generate +EV, following this will be fine in all stages of tournaments.

Captainine9

Captainine9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is generally accepted to be cautious in the beginning. Closer to money, usually everyone is tight, so it is more profitable to behave more aggressively. What is your strategy?
It really depends, I think is better to wait and be aggressive only when nobody else is. That includes tossing some good hands away because somebody already raised

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am generally a cautious player and only play with good cards. I rarely bluff, and conversely, I find aggressive players very comfortable opponents. The aggression of my opponents is a plus for me.

Bazil777

Bazil777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As an AI language model, I don't have a personal strategy, but I can provide you with some general poker strategy tips. In the early stages of a tournament, it's generally a good idea to play tight and selectively, only entering pots with strong hands and avoiding marginal situations. This can help you avoid getting knocked out early in the tournament when blinds and antes are low.

As the tournament progresses and blinds and antes increase, it may become more profitable to play more aggressively and steal blinds and antes from the other players. However, this also depends on the specific situation at the table, such as the number of players left and the size of the blinds and antes.

Ultimately, the best strategy is to be flexible and adjust your play based on the changing dynamics of the tournament and the tendencies of the other players at your table.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Combine aggressiveness and passiveness... You won't get too far if you just fold or go all-in all the time. Be creative and the plan is to stay in the tournament for as long as possible.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In fact, playing aggressively is recommended, but I confess that on the bubble I only play strong hands, because many play wildly thinking they are aggressive and end up winning the showdown. I have been on the bubble a few times in this situation.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it Really depends! you need to have that instinct on when to be agro or tight in those moments, those moment will guarantee you the FT or BUST!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
at first, everyone plays cautiously closer to the money, everyone plays from strong cards so you can take advantage of the moment and play a little more aggressively and bluff after you should already play from cards at the final table, you can also play more aggressively but you always need to feel the game