Cant reach the paid places in tournys

H

Hotkiller102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to win, you must be patience. Don't think at the end you can win easily with a-j or 10-10.I see people calling to often with such hands at the late state of a tournament and they never win because they get fished by k-k , a-k.

aquadad

aquadad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you're playing the right hands. I think that it's a question of timing. Loosen up and get more aggressive before you near the bubble. Just making the money isn't worth it. You play 3 hrs. in a $1 tourney and get busted just after making the money. You make $2 ($1 profit) for your 3hrs. work.

J

janef13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
j 5 os

I am not an expert but playing j 5 os isn't the wisest thing. I practice three things - quality starting cards, position, and patience, patience being the most important. But you may want to look at a ranking of the starting hands and se where j 5 os is....

Jane

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) "Take what the table will give you." This sounds stupid but it means you can't force things. ie: If you're card dead, try a few steals from late position. You probably have a tight image, so a few well-timed steals should work.

2) "Notes are your friends." Mr Tightbutt raised before you? Fold that ATo. Mr Maniac raised before you? Re-raise with that same ATo.

3) "Stop playing 'hoping' poker." Calling a raise with J5o "hoping" to hit trips is exactly that.

4) Check the stacks of the players behind you. Who can you hurt? Just remember, never push a desperate player who's shown some knowledge of the game.

5) As you start to get short, have a plan beyond a hope of hitting the flop. With a medium stack (relative to the blinds) you can still play some poker. With a shortstack (13BB or less) it's fold or shove...but, against whom? (Read your notes.)

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it's funny that some thought you meant you were playing on tilt insted of FT, lol. tourneys are tough at times. all the advice i read generally recommends tight play in the begining and loosen up midway to end. but than everyone seems to be doing it lately. i'm not an expert but i have been itm in tournies. the best advice i can give is stay focused, notes on opps, remain calm, take advantage of your position, don't overplay a monster unless you can put your opp on a hand or your 99% you have the nuts, semi bluff if it won't put you out of the game (you have the chips to back you).
you mentioned bowing out when you had a winning hand - don't do that. don't get bullied off you hand, if you let it persist, it will make you sick- i've been there.
your mindset sounds a little off because of your disappointment in not being able to itm. if your consistent and patient eventually you'll make it i'm sure. maybe your playing to tight in the begining to allow you to aquire chips to see cheap flops.
well this is my 2 cents worth, hope there is something you can use. if not i'm sure you can use this - GOOD LUCK :)

jburm911

jburm911

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
forget mtts. always stick to what your good at and you cant lose. gl though

J

jassonsan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviusly the problem its playing on tilt, when I`m tilt I rather read a little and try to improve my game that way, its a pretty nice strategy, or play with NO real money and just for fun...hope this will help you in some way..

graziosi

graziosi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice Practice Practice and focus your attention on the players and try not to multitask so much when playing poker. The less people in the game are sometimes the more experienced ones you need to pay more attention to.

A

Aldwin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight is the best strategy. But you might play some more hands when your position is better (on the button, right for the button).
When you much tournaments and play like this you automaticly become into the money...