Can't control myself when I have a "good hand"

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing folds. I would've lost a lot of hands there.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you thnk he's bluffing on the river, then just call it. What good does shoving do? If he was bluffing he would fold, and you win the same amount as if you just called his bluff. If he isn't bluffing, by shoving you're giving him the rest of your chips.

I am new to poker and my game has many leaks, bet this one is huge and not specific to poker per se.

I cant't control myself when I have a "good hand".

Example: I flop a set of 5ves, everyone is reluctantly calling and I am thinking how much and when to raise, because looks like no one has anything.
On the river I see that straight draw is on table (4cards) and yes, opponent suddenly raises.
All clear - I must fold.

And then interesting thing happens - a voice in me says: "He is bluffing ! Lets see, raise a little"
So I raise, half of the pot - he shoves half of his chips in and here I loose all control over myself.
Like a mad monkey I shove AI.
He shoves AI and guess what ?
Straight, Ace high, like I new.
End of game.
:stickyman

I curse myself and make promises and next time everything happens again.

Do anyone has similar problems ?
Is there some methods to increase self control ?
In the begging I thought that just telling myself not to do so will be enough, but clearly it is not the case.
May be there are some exercises to eliminate this madness ?

SenSage

SenSage

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been burned by situations like this before. I've learned to make each subsequent street very expensive especially if my hand is fragile.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One problem is the lower brain making decisions, instead of the higher brain. The trick is to keep your hand off the mouse, and wait until your higher brain comes to a decision, before clicking the mouse. If you keep your hand on the mouse, the lower brain is likely to make a snap decision and make a bad click, before the higher brain even has time to think about the situation.

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Protect those good hands and don't let it get to that point if you can help it. I flop a set on a drawy board in micro tournaments with multiple players, I usually shove right there, hoping for one caller. If they draw out on me, oh well, I got it in good. If not, someone usually pays me off nicely. Maybe that's a garbage way to play against good players, but it works for me at freerolls and micros.

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One problem is the lower brain making decisions, instead of the higher brain. The trick is to keep your hand off the mouse, and wait until your higher brain comes to a decision, before clicking the mouse. If you keep your hand on the mouse, the lower brain is likely to make a snap decision and make a bad click, before the higher brain even has time to think about the situation.

Thanks! I'm going to try this one. As a gamer, I spend way too much time training myself to rapidfire click as it is.

P

PokerA55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do the same always when i have two good cards in my hand! i relax and i wait for show:)

Balyev

Balyev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a bad habit, he came across it. Niznayu why but I have very good intuition through online poker, as I understood it. Earlier could just shove all of the chips with middle pair, and because the devil take me I know that the enemy is stronger arm, and at the same time assuring himself that he did not, and as it turns out I have always been weaker. But over time, I stopped to do so.

P

pkrkidd12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its always good to raise a healthy amount when you score a big hand so you can get all those draws to fold...... most the time i you wont make as much money but you protect yourself from letting people catch up hitting straights and flushes

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands