Calling Because of the Price?

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker is math, and you play all odds, you are beatable, you will be playing like a bot. Yes, math plays heavy in poker, but it is not the be all and end all of our decision making prowess. At least it should not be.

Whatever logic you're trying to use, if you would ever fold here, YOU are beatable and playing like someone who doesn't want to last very long in a tournament, much less win.

In a live setting, if I have this stack and button shover has that stack, I'm calling without even looking at my cards. When I flip over QTo, I'm going to be happy (double fist pump 2/3 of the time) no matter what villain turns over. The fact that this is online and I can already see that I have QTo makes this a no-brainer and would be with a lot less than QTo.

This is not a spot where math matters or decision making matters because of the stacks of the two players involved. Both should lead you to calling 100% of the time though. If you don't like that, don't end up with such a small stack or play ring games where you can reload and not play against so many short stacks with survival considerations.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything you just said is all about math except the part where you talk about you don't always call because you apparently randomly play badly sometimes.

<3

so true, all your reads etc are doing is allowing you to narrow/widen his shoving range adjust your calling range based on what he is shoving

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker, as has been said over and over, is not so much about the cards, as it is about the players, and position. In this case tho, it is more about the cards. .

Couldn't disagree more mate! At this stage of the game you might as well put a post it note on the screen and not look at your cards - you'll need to push at least once per round, so you need to pick a spot where you can get first in the pot and at least some fold equity.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, but here the question is about CALLING someone else's shove.