Calling an All in with AK

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone pointed out AK is not a made hand, a good hand to play, a great hand to hit on the flop.

If the villain has any pocket pair, he is ahead of you.

Now I like playing AK when I can but an all in re-raise usually means some strength and depending on my stack, the blind levels, my place in the tourney and the payout structure, this is NOT a snap call.

A lot depends on the villain, has he been palying tight, loose, is he capable of playing a bluff in this situation?

Sorry you lost.

:cool:

BreakPkr4u

BreakPkr4u

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely lose with AK but now it happened. and anyway I do not what to expect and anyway if i do not get color. I have a pair and beat because I did not have anything that's poker

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one piece of info I'd like to hear is how was the villain playing up to that point? Was he aggressive, stealing a lot or playing tight aggressive? If he'd been stealing/playing aggressive as opposed to playing tight, I'd have to say it would be too hard to fold. Damon789 gave all the points that I like that makes this an easy call. There's not many players that would limp with AA or KK when another limper was in the pot and blinds of 100/200, so you can't be a big dog against any hand he's pushing with. I believe to go far in a tourney, you're going to have to win a race or two. AKs is a hand I would want to have to win a race.

N

nugsmoke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it depends on how many ppl were left and what the chip stacks were. I don't really know what i would of done in that spot. It seems like a descent play even though you lost because if you would of won the coin flip you would of had a nice chip stack to play with right? well anyways if you dont think your up against aces or kings you know your 50/50. but if he had you covered do you really want to risk your tournament life on a 50/50 shot? thats up to you to decide and you have to live with the results. see you at the tables

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unmade vs what ? What is unmade anyway ?

See the difference ? We dont have stack sizes, but this is a snap call in most MTT spots.

DG, seriously you need to learn the difference between the two quotes above.

It may have to do with the micro stakes I'm playing at but I see this kind of move not only with pps 22-JJ but with AQ, AJ, A10 and even Ax (or worse lol).

Being slightly behind vs pp doesn't mean that opponent has pp.

equity - wise it's a call anyway imo.

Last edited:
dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may have to do with the micro stakes I'm playing at but I see this kind of move not only with pps 22-JJ but with AQ, AJ, A10 and even Ax (or worse lol).

Being slightly behind vs pp doesn't mean that opponent has pp.

Equity - wise it's a call anyway imo.

I'm not saying it's a bad call equity-wise. I basically stated that the OP needs to decide whether he want's to put his tournament life on the line with a hand that is most likely a coin flip.

Here's the options as I see it

Call= 50% chance I win, 50% chance he wins (basically)

Fold= 100% I go further in the tournament

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not saying it's a bad call equity-wise. I basically stated that the OP needs to decide whether he want's to put his tournament life on the line with a hand that is most likely a coin flip.

Here's the options as I see it

Call= 50% chance I win, 50% chance he wins (basically)

Fold= 100% I go further in the tournament

You fail to realise that if op is shoving 33, he is also shoving A9, K10 type hands giving up very substantial EV in this situation. It obviously depends on a lot of factors left out of the op but assuming we have less than 15bb, this is definitely a situation we want our money in.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, I'm bowing out of this conversation.

I'm not saying that calling is -EV, and I'm not saying folding is +EV. I'm just saying that most of the time, I value my tournament life over one hand that only gives me, at best, a 50/50 shot before the hands are turned over. I realize nobody is trying to attack me here, but this is like the "JJ" conversation where just about anything you do can be "right" or "wrong".

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, I'm bowing out of this conversation.

I'm not saying that calling is -EV, and I'm not saying folding is +EV. I'm just saying that most of the time, I value my tournament life over one hand that only gives me, at best, a 50/50 shot before the hands are turned over. I realize nobody is trying to attack me here, but this is like the "JJ" conversation where just about anything you do can be "right" or "wrong".
But, folding is wrong :D. BTW, you do not have 50% equity, you have closer to 60% at worst and probably closer to 65. Folding AK here is just plain brutal and if you make that play, you should probably think of another game.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the way villan played the hand i would snap call. lets be serious who limps in with aa or kk. and ak is behind very few hands. i might fold this if i was close to the buble in a mtt. in a cash game i always call an all in with ak, proves its a winning move. but thats just me, the microstakes player.

V

volpereira

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this kind of situation I use to call.

It's a coin in 75% of the time, 15% U face an AQ or AJ and 10% U face an KK or AA.

In the long run its slight +EV

K

kAAzENBRE

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lolz

With AK and an guy with ALL IN i would just fold because its a big chance that he will atleast have a pair, if his not a tard. But ofc its up to you its a great position witn AK but who knows, ITS POKER EVERYTHING CAN HAPPEND :)

Take care

/ kAAzEN GOING FOR THE PROS!

U

Ubercroz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like someone got their feelings hurt. I dont think this thread was put together to anger you dg, maybe I'm wrong but it often looked like people posting responses and you seemed a little on the defensive side. I mean its all good.

K

Karachay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only going All in at MTT but when i'm Short Stack or i'm comitted preflop because some steal or something's like this. I think if u are raising vs 2 limper the odd that they have some pocket are some kind of high. Call is no bad, but if u want to be in a coin flip the best way is going AI to aislate vs one player and not to play in a board whit two or more player's.

Regards

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no pro and I like the call however I think the argument in favour of folding and waiting is valid considering it is a tournament and everything I read about tournaments tell me to do one thing and that's to survive.

I figure if Hellmuth can fold a str8 flush draw then I can rethink going all in from time to time.
Honestly I very well might just take a look at the flop by limping in myself but I've been learning to trust my post flop reads.