Busting out of MTT in mid stages... Help?

• Thread starter whowantsahighfive
  • Start date
whowantsahighfive

whowantsahighfive

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. Lately, I've been trying my luck at the $1.20 45 person turbos on poker stars. I've been doing okay but not great. My biggest issue is building my stack up. I'm well aware that position raising is what I need to be doing but I can't bring myself to raise with hands like J6, 7-5, 2-6, etc.

Do I NEED to be raising with these hands first to act in position?

I've noticed that I've been busting out around the 20s. Ex: 22/45, 25/45, etc.

When should I start playing these position moves? 50/100? When the antes start setting in?

If anyone knows of any in depth guides or videos in particular that are available for viewing, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In the 45's (Turbos?) You don't ever want to be playing that junk, unless you're otb and short, or SBvBB & short (where you might need to be shoving with any two cards).

Basically in the 45's, once it hits 50/10 you're looking for hands you can jam over another's open-raise. There's very little post-flop play in those sng's, it's basically a shove/fold game. If you can pick up some chips in early levels.... great but don't bleed off a bunch of chips trying to get them AND DON'T spew off a bunch of your stack by playing too many hands once (or if) you've doubled up.
Instead, learn more about shoving/calling ranges & look to pick your spots to shove (ie. vs. opponents who are tight).
Never open-raise/fold with a stack of <15bb's (tighten your opening range if you're 12-17bb when blinds are ~50/100). If you're opening at this stage w a stack of that size be ready/willing to get it allin with your hand.

You might not agree with some of what I've written (sorry to perhaps disappoint you, but there's not much postflop play in those games at all... the successful players in them are mass-multi-tabling them & are the ones who you'll see playing tight in early levels and then just shipping their whole stack in).

Try playing the reg. blind speed 45's, OR the 180's. There's alot more post-flop game in those (if that's what you're after).

whowantsahighfive

whowantsahighfive

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, Orifice. Nah, I'm not disappointed in what you wrote. I had just been doing fairly okay at these but would want to do better. I'm on my trial of PT3 and it's been helping me with when and who I can play against but I'm not that good with the software.

I'm just looking for some strategy for these to work on. MTTs seem to be my weak point right now so I want to work on it.