Building a Bankroll from scratch?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So that advice isn't so much that new players should always play $100NL or above, but that playing lower makes it very difficult to build a bankroll. There are other benefits to playing lower stakes, like cutting your teeth in the games or having slightly profitable fun if you have a massive edge on the competition; but, for building a bankroll, players are generally better off starting with a large enough amount to risk to avoid the rake totally eating their winnings.
It's not hard to build a BR at the lowest levels, just slow when measured in $ or $/hour. Yes, you pay a higher % in rake, but you also have more fish handing you money.

Assuming a person has the ability to win at NL100 or above, his roll will almost certainly grow faster than at NL2, 5 or 10. But that's quite an assumption for most players, never mind relatively new ones.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your worrying over a few $$$$ then poker is probably not the game for you as the higher up in stakes u go. The more the beats will hurt and that the bigger a mental fish you will be

S

seventhcereal

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll management is really overrated. Most people are getting clobbered by bad play. So you play loose and try to mix it up by calling an EP open raise and are drawing to a flush with 67 offsuit and hit your baby flush on the river. You shove and get called by AK suited. You think to yourself it's just a "cooler" variance.

Even at a small stake, the guys are bluffing so badly that they run right into your fist. I mean they play some kind of meta-game and stealing my equity, I tell you I sock em everytime they do one of those bluffs showing me jack high when I hit 2 pair.

You only need to go into wars at high stakes and then you variance is legit. So many bad players at low stakes it's not much variance if you know what you are doing.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol @ this thread, I was the definition of a fish. Pretty sure I ended up depositing a 100bucks and never looked back :)

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol @ this thread, I was the definition of a fish. Pretty sure I ended up depositing a 100bucks and never looked back :)

The other night I looked at some of my threads from almost a year ago and had some good lol face palm moments.

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the option to play double or nothings I would stick to them until you have enough to play comfortably at the cash tables. Or stack a roll up from freerolls and make an amount you have to reach before you play other cash/sng/tourney games.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other night I looked at some of my threads from almost a year ago and had some good lol face palm moments.

Hahaha we all had to start somewhere!

glades7777777

glades7777777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just cut the crap and deposit $60, save yourself 6 months of grinding for pennies.

honestly I have to agree with this guy. Just put a bit of money in and save yourself a lot of time and effort and start making real money. If you're good enough to win 10 bucks in a freeroll, you're good enough to trust yourself with a bit of your own money and make a couple hundred bucks much faster

C

Cymro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think anyone else here has brought it up, but being diligent with keeping notes on other players is really important and will take a big chunk out of your variance and help you get a lot more value out of your opponents.

manu994

manu994

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What usually works for me when i have a 10/20 bankroll is playing in the 1,10 on demand tourneys in full tilt, which you can play too considering you plat at PS which is linked to FTP. Good luck!

heroinsnattaren

heroinsnattaren

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest playing $0.50 STT SNG to minimize your variance. But maybe you're not good at it so then cash games might be better. It all depends what you're good at, and as someone said before you might need to up your game, not just your bankroll.

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have also 15 Dollars of BR and for me is the best to mix up full ring 0,01/0,02 and sit and gos for 0,5. I train my play in both types and also i am not going frustrated about one. There are enogh fish to get money from even you have bad beats sometimes

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can feel your frustration. I am a low skill player, even though I've played for years. I don't have a feel for putting players on hands, and get pot committed to easily. ALthough in the past, I've deposited money and played for free (i.e. my bankroll stays about the same, not going up but not having to re-deposit either), I decided to try something new. For the past two months, I've been trying to open an account without depositing, win some freerolls and build up from there.

My experience so far is that I've won several times, but end up loosing the small winnings after going to the tables. Since I've not achieved a stable bankroll, I will give my "advice" but you must realize that I've not won with it (YET).
- play in lots of freerolls. Pick ones with LOW number of players, rather than the prize amount. This way, if you play it many times, you can slowly build up the bankroll with lots of small amounts.
- When you first start using your bankroll, play in very small entry SNG. The skill level will be lower and you might be able to build it up.

I think the best advise I can give is "Do it for entertainment and/or Learning". Don't expect to get rich, but simply enjoy the experience for what it is. It only costs you TIME, which is a valuable commodity. Enjoy the travel rather than the destination.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying to build my bankroll on a site as well. Had 8 dollars left over from losing while learning. its is 14 dollars now (Yahooo!)

Know what you are good at, what has the greatest chance of you cashing out for the least risk. The sit n go advice is solid, it's what I did, and it seems to be working out. variance will still hurt but not as much as other places.

I disagree with the adding more of your own money to your bankroll being necessarily the best answer. Yes, it would be quicker, save you a lot of time, and make you money faster. But there is something to be said for building 10 bucks off a freeroll into a couple thousand dollars knowing it required no investment from your pocketbook. So personal pride vs cold hard cash. Were it me, I'd keep the small BR and see if i could build it up, and if i felt like depositing, do it on a different site. My 2 cents.

I wish you luck!

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything about poker is patience. Each step every level every tournament to me that is the key sometimes you feel are ready to push it and cards luck is just not there

discipline is key to just shut it down stick to freerolls etc. is hard and difficult decision but the option is not so great either lol

jayrock334

jayrock334

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BRM is key for me i woke up with 20$ on my BOL account and went to cash tables turned into 92$ and then went broke on all in FML

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can build a bankroll from scratch and earn approximately $1000 within a month , it is important to adhere to a strict bankroll management , Chrome status in PS, and need to play about ten hours a day.. It is easier than many people think ..

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you really want to build it stay away from cash games if thats where its going. Build it up a bit then figure out what to do with it. Dont win a few for hours of hard donk dodging freeroll work and blow it in 20 minutes at a cash table. Cash tables have always been fishy for me. Bad beats aces cracked buddy's teaming up. I just play minimal cash games and set a limit and run.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with those who say that having 10 or 20$ is not enough to play cash games or tournaments with buy-in more than 10-20 cents. Probably one good tournament a week with 0,55 buy-in. I built a 100 dollars bankroll from scratch twice and it's alot of work

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management